John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

My daughter has an older Macbook, one of the older white body

My daughter has an older Macbook, one of the older white body ones. I need a copy of Snow Leopard to update her system.
I have an older black one that I updated to Lion, but I cannot find my copy of Snow Leopard.
Do I have to buy another copy of Snow Leopard, or is there a way to pull it off of my black Macbook and upload to my daughters?
Also, her DVD drive is out on the computer, how can I get it onto a thumb drive?

Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

In this case you will indeed need to buy a copy of Snow Leopard.

It is no longer officially sold in most stores and if you can't readily find it most customers have been able to get it from Apple by ordering online or via telephone.

For a limited time, it may be available via the Apple Online store in the US:

...or call 1-800-MY-APPLE (1-800-692-7753) and tell them you want the Snow Leopard upgrade which they can send on CD for around $20 USD shipped.

Once you have the Disc, as long as you have a Mac with with working DVD and a Flash/thumb drive that is at least 8GB in size then you should be able to copy the contents on the install disc to the drive.

There are numerous article online on how to use the thumb drive for installation and here is one of them with pics included to guide you along:

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there anyway to pull it from another computer that used to run it?

No, sadly not. Prior to OS X 10.7 Lion, the install files required are never copied to the target Mac for the purposes of installation so there's nothing to pull from them later.

If you had the same model of MacBook currently running OS X 10.6 then you could potentially clone the internal hard drive and copy it to the second MacBook but that still wouldn't be a true install, you'd just be transferring a backup more or less.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, I could transfer a copy of my hard drive from my Black Macbook to the White one?

As per the example I provided, only if the black MacBook is still running 10.6 AND they must be the same exact model of MacBook.