Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Hi I am having a problem with Mac. I can only boot up in safe

Hi I am having a problem with Mac. I can only boot up in safe mode. Also while in this Mode I cannot access Internet and lain h pad is sluggish. I have tried go power up normal but just gray screen ... I think something is wrong with boot disk utility but not sure
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
10.8.3
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Did you check the disk this way?

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I am verifying disk it says okay so I will repair disk permissions
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
OK after see if you can boot normally.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Once repair finished I hit quit is utilities do I choose startup disk or restart
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Restart
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Once I finished the permissions repair . I went to close out of osx utilities and a screen popped up choices to quit choose startup disk to select disk for your computer or if you need to restart click restart .. Before I choose restart want to make sure permissions repair took
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
If Permissions Repair finished it is complete.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Restarted and still gray screen with apple and cursor frozen
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
In that case I suggest you do the same thing:

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, but when it boots select Reinstall MAC OS X.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Before I reinstall , is there a chance I will lose data or further complicate , I do not have a recent backup and I cannot get to Internet to backup on time machine
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
There is a slight chance but since you drive was OK I think you can risk it. Is your backup on a Time Capsule?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had backups last summer on time machine versions . I don't think capsule . This problem started after laptop was powered off with power button versus shut down. Somehow g is hanging ... Or corrupted . But you honk okay to reinstall ?
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Time Machine requires an external drive and does not rely on the internet that is why I asked. If you can boot in Safe Boot mode I suggest you try backing up first. BTW Time Machine is meant to be on at all times otherwise it is not much use.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay . I may just go to apple store for help . I don't think I can back up. Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Ok in that case I suggest you just try the reinstall.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.