Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Hi I am having a problem with Mac. I can only boot up in safe

Hi I am having a problem with Mac. I can only boot up in safe mode. Also while in this Mode I cannot access Internet and lain h pad is sluggish. I have tried go power up normal but just gray screen ... I think something is wrong with boot disk utility but not sure
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Did you check the disk this way?

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk on the right and if that is OK Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair Disk.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I am verifying disk it says okay so I will repair disk permissions
OK after see if you can boot normally.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Once repair finished I hit quit is utilities do I choose startup disk or restart
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Once I finished the permissions repair . I went to close out of osx utilities and a screen popped up choices to quit choose startup disk to select disk for your computer or if you need to restart click restart .. Before I choose restart want to make sure permissions repair took
If Permissions Repair finished it is complete.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Restarted and still gray screen with apple and cursor frozen
In that case I suggest you do the same thing:

Restart the computer while holding the Command and R keys to boot to Recovery HD partition, but when it boots select Reinstall MAC OS X.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Before I reinstall , is there a chance I will lose data or further complicate , I do not have a recent backup and I cannot get to Internet to backup on time machine
There is a slight chance but since you drive was OK I think you can risk it. Is your backup on a Time Capsule?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had backups last summer on time machine versions . I don't think capsule . This problem started after laptop was powered off with power button versus shut down. Somehow g is hanging ... Or corrupted . But you honk okay to reinstall ?
Time Machine requires an external drive and does not rely on the internet that is why I asked. If you can boot in Safe Boot mode I suggest you try backing up first. BTW Time Machine is meant to be on at all times otherwise it is not much use.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay . I may just go to apple store for help . I don't think I can back up. Thanks
Ok in that case I suggest you just try the reinstall.