Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

old (2007) laptop suddenly will only bring up Apple logo and

old (2007) laptop suddenly will only bring up Apple logo and turning wheel. Won't continue logon. Happened suddenly when tired to start computer this AM.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not. First we can reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM

1. Turn off your Mac
  2. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  3. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  4. Release the keys and the let the Mac boot up to desktop

If that didn’t work, then restart your Mac in Safe Mode. To do so, make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up to safe mode.

If Safe Mode doesn’t work, run Disk Utility in Single User Mode. Follow the steps below;

Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Please let me know if that doesn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

None of these worked. disk utility seemed to run but there was no way to type reboot

Force turn off your Mac by holding down the Power button for 10 seconds. Then turn it back on. Did that work ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tried this twice and get a bar across bottom which loads a little but then just grinds away.

It seems like the system files of your Mac are corrupted. Do you have the Mac OS X installation discs came with your Mac ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What really happens when you try to boot into Safe Mode ?
Since we don't have the discs, it is not possible to do advanced troubleshooting. I want you to try Safe Mode again. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Shift key on your Keyboard. Keep it held down for 5 minutes or until your Mac boot into Safe Mode. Let me know how it goes..