Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

why do I only get a grey screen when I turn on my ipad?

Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Does your computer recognize your iPad when you connect it ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It seemed to. My laptop showed the itunes app restoring the software on my ipad

What does your iPad shows now ? Did you tried resetting your iPad ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

dark grey screen barely noticeable that it comes on..no start bar

I'm very sorry for the bad news. Since your PC is recognizing your iPad but doesn't display anything on the iPad, it indicates that there is a hardware problem. It seems like the display of your iPad is failed. To confirm this is not a software issue, we can restore your iPad by putting it to DFU Mode (Device Firmware Upgrade mode)

Restoring iPad from DFU Mode will restore a fresh iOS to your iPad and fix all software issues. Follow the steps below to put your iPad to DFU Mode and restore from iTunes.
  • Connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.
  • Open iTunes application on your computer
  • On your iPad Press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.
  • After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.
  • Click OK or Restore and let it complete.

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPad will remain blank.
(black). If your iPad still shows grey screen and your PC still recognize it, then we can confirm that the display of your iPad has failed. In that case, you will have to take it to the Apple Store to get it replaced for a fee. If it is under warranty, Apple will replace it for free.

You can also replace it yourself. The screen is only less than $100 if you buy it from online. If you give me the model number, I will send you the tutorial to replace the screen yourself.

Best Regards,