John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

OS10.6 (purchased 2009 - now a dinosaur, I know) Running Snow

OS10.6 (purchased 2009 - now a dinosaur, I know) Running Snow Leopard. All crashed last week. Reinstalled from original discs also reinstalled Snow Leopard.

Everything but iPhoto library seems to be there, but all mixed up. How can I find them?

External backup died and did not replace it until yesterday. (Hard lesson) Computer too old for iCloud.

Ay help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Sarah
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

To clarify, did you re-install OS X over the top of the existing system so that you are using the same user account (in other words, it retain settings such as email accounts, Safari bookmarks, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, that is correct

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, and have you installed all OS X updates again via System Preferences > Software Update?

Also, is iPhoto itself still functional, it's only your photos that are missing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, just installed updates

Iphoto file is there, but empty. Have not tried to upload any new photos.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just plugged in the iPhone to upload a few photos , iPhoto openedk but but no response.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay,

Quit iPhoto.

in the Finder, click the Go menu at the top of the screen and choose Home.

Then open your Pictures folder

Do you see a file named "iPhoto Library"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

iPhoto Library is there, opened but empty.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, please Control-Click or Right-Click on the iPhoto Library file and choose Get Info.

What does it list for Size?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

53KB

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, that sounds like a new iPhoto Library rather than a previously existing library. Are there any other similarly named files or folders in the Pictures folder?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the only other thing in the pictures folder is the iChat Icons. I don't use iChat

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Alright,

Close the pictures folder.

In the FInder, click the Go menu and choose Computer

Open the Macintosh HD volume

Open the Users folder

You should see one named Shared, possibly one named Guest, and then another which is your current Home folder. Do you see any others beyond those three?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not highlighted -

Under sharing & Permission it shows Namel(me) privilege -read and write

staff read only

everyone read only

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you are looking in the wrong place. Close the Get info window, close any other Finder windows you have open right now and let's try again.

Open the Macintosh HD volume

Open the Users folder

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

only me and "shared folder" none others

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

In the top right of the menu bar, click the Spotlight magnifying glass.

Enter "iPhoto Library" in the search box.

Does more than one library come up in the results?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2 library - doc

1 Library - pictures

1 Library6.iphotos

1Library.iphotos

album datamxl

Yikes!

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
What happens if you select the first one?

2 library - doc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

top hit ...iPhoto Lib. - opens - empty

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news and please don't shoot the messenger but it appears that the iPhoto Library was lost during your crash.

You are still using the same account as prior to the crash, other data seems to be intact, and unfortunately it sounds like you don't have a valid backup that might contain this data to recover it from...

As it stands, I'm afraid the answer is not one you will be happy to hear but the original photos appear lost.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

John - that's what I was afraid of....most of my life in photos...gone.Yell My fault, and you did your best.

Do I still get charged the $68 ???

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
There is one other option you may want to try. Since you had to re-install OS X it is likely that any lost files have already been overwritten BUT there is a utility to check for lost files and recover them called Disk Drill:

http://www.cleverfiles.com

They have special suggestions for the recovery of photos, too:
http://www.cleverfiles.com/photo-music-recovery.html

It may be worth a shot. If you can't recover the entire library perhaps individual photos might be found if the contents of the hard drive has not moved around too much.

As far as the initial deposit for the question goes, I'm not an employee so I can not see your account details but until you actually positively rate one of my answers then I do not get paid anything and that choice is entirely up to you! Smile

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I understand. Thanks for the tip.

You will get paidCool because you did your best.

Aloha, from Hawai'i

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks very much and you are very welcome!

I enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again at any time when you come back to ask another Apple-related question. I can assist with a myriad number of issues, including speed or performance improvements, hardware or software updates, new device/software recommendations and other frustrations you may experience in the future.

I can be reached directly via the following page:

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry