John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

how do I sync the music on my computer to my classic ipod

Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 11 months ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have a pc. am I looking at my laptop or ipod to get the version #

Okay, in that case, can you tell me the version of iTunes?

Click the Help menu and choose About... The version should scroll up from the bottom of the window.

*Note: If running iTunes 11 on Windows, you may need to show the menubar

graphic
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

iTunes 11.0.4.4

Thanks!

Did this iPod previously sync without issue?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

it's a new ipod. when I opened iTunes with the ipod connected it showed me all my songs. I played a few on my pc and then ran sync. the only songs that got to my ipod were the ones I played.

Okay, plug in your iPod.

Select it when it appears in the iTunes toolbar.

You should see a new menubar appear above the Summary page for the device, including one labeled "Music". Go through each option and make sure the appropriate ones are selected.

Sync Music should be selected and then you have a choice between "Entire music library" or "Selected playlists, etc...".

If you choose the latter, make sure you have selected playlists that have the content you want.

When finished, click Apply/Sync in the lower right.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok I clicked on music and heres what I see

sync music - 4 songs (which by the way are the 4 I listened to before trying to sync)

entire music library (checked off)

selected playlists, artists, albums and genres (not check off)

include music videos (checked off)

Okay, in your music library, how many songs do you have?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

on my pc I have 497 songs. the same amount in iTunes. could it be that my ipod is syncing with a different library on my pc which, right now, only has the 4 songs I played?

Are the rest of the songs playable?

If you are syncing through iTunes then it sounds as though it may be having trouble reading your entire library.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok. what do I do now?

Do the other songs in iTunes have an "exclamation point" next to them?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

none of the songs (including the ones that got to my ipod) have exclamation points.

there is a check off next to all of them as if it was a selected list to be used for something.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

is there any way to get rid of everything on the ipod and my pc and start over again with syncing with itunes

Were all your songs in iTunes purchased from the iTunes store?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

most of them but a few were cds I loaded

Let's try this first;

Disconnect your iPod

Open iTunes

Click the Edit menu

choose Preferences

Click Advanced

Make sure a check is next to the following options:
-Keep iTunes Media folder organized
-Copy file to iTunes Media when adding to the library

Then click OK.

Next click the File menu and select Library > Organize Library

please a check mark next to Consolidate Files and Reorganize Files if the option is available.

When it's finished, quit and restart iTunes and attempt to sync once more.

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

hey john thanks for sticking with this. are these the steps

get out of iTunes

start iTunes

attempt to sync ( how???)

You are very welcome!

Once the library organization is done, quit iTunes and restart it... then just try going back through the previous steps to sync and see if it will transfer anything beyond those 4 tracks.