Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

editing on final cut pro 11. trying to put a title in front

editing on final cut pro 11. trying to put a title in front of a talking head but can't find where to type in text!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

I don't think there is FCP 11, the latest version of FCP is FCP X

Could you give me the exact version of your FCP ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FCP 10.0.5

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you figure it out

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay Tim. Had to install FCP X on my Mac, so I can give you a screenshot. That is FCP X. In your FCP, click on the T icon in the toolbar (on the right, under output Viewer)

You can see many types of Titles there. Just select the one you want and then click and drag it to the timeline. This will open the title in the Viewer (output viewer). Now, just click on title on the viewer and you will be able to edit it. If you want to remove any effects or change the font, size, type etc then click on the sliders icon (second one from right). This will open the advanced properties of title.See picture below;
graphic

Let me know if that didn't work

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sorry the picture didn't upload successfully, hold on I will resend it now.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Here is the screenshot
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

under the word Normal where your typing says basic not type and theres no where to type

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
'Normal' is the type of the text. Click it if you want to change the style. There are many to choose from.

I guess you are using the "Basic Title" title. So first, double click on the Title clip in the Timeline and that will select the Title. Then check if you can type. Will send you a screenshot now.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Tim, here is the screenshot
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

don't know how to get to step #2

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Just double click on the title clip in the timeline (I assume you've already dragged out the title to the time line) and the title will be loaded to the output viewer. Let me know if that didn't work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I double click and nothing happens

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
hmm thats strange. All you have to do is, double click on the title clip in the timeline. I double checked and it works for me. Double click on the title clip again, click "Show Inspector" button (the sliders icon) or click on Window menu and select Show Inspector.

Click on Text tab next to Title tab. Can you change the text from there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need a walk through. I'm not good with the computer. call my office and ask for tim XXXXXXXXXX /p>

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, JustAnswer won't allow me to call you as it is against the policy here. I found a Youtube video explaining it, see here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafzbqk4fTo

Did that help ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a wireless mouse that has no right click, just one click. maybe this is the problem

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Tim, hold down Control key on your keyboard and then click and that will considered as right click.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On some Titles it allows me to type on others I can't get from the word BASIC directly under the word NORMAL to the word TEXT. I the video he did it fine,

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Just checked on my Mac and I'm able to type on all titles. Can you restart your FCP and try agian ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't get it man, some titles I use have the text and space to type but most don't. I can't get the TEXT box that's in between the word BASIC and NORMAL. I'm ready to throw this f**king machine out the window I've been at it for months and even the expert can't help or call.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Tim, I'm trying my best to help you. I know I'm giving you the right directions. I wish I could call you, but JustAnswer won't allow me to call you for some privacy reasons. Lets try again and this time, I will walk you through the steps.

Select any one text and click and drag it to the timline. Let me know once you did that and also let me know what text (name of the text) did you chose.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I choose
Basic lower third, I put it on the time line, click on it so it's yellow, go to information icon click on text and it's the way I described it, no text box

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Now I understand Tim. The problem is, you didn't select the text to change. Can you see the texts Name and Description under it in the output window ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Tim, the "Basic Lower Third" title is made of two different titles i.e Basic and other one is Description. Those are two individual titles instead of one. So you have to select the one you want to change.

In the output window, move the mouse over the "Name" title and it will be higlighted. Then click it and can you see the area to type in Inspector ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it doesn't highlight

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
In timeline, select the clip named "Basic Lower third". It is important to select the clip in timeline and make sure no other clip is selected. Then just click on the text Name in the Output viewer. Does it hightlight or does a small box appear around the title ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

small box around title but no highlight

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Small box means it is selected. Now double click on the "Name" text and it will be highlighted and you can change the text. Or after selecting it (small box around it), open Inspector (click sliders icon). Now check if there is an area to enter text below Normal (under Text tab)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Holy shit I got it, just like you said the first time.

Sorry, I went to film school and learned how to edit on film with tape and a razor blade. I suck at this thing.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad you got it worked Tim :) It's okay. Sometimes, these things are very confusing. Apple really messed up FCP X. I still use FCP 7 and it is much more better than FCP X.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me Positively.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc