jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair 2 years Apple Tech Support

i am planning to give my old ipad

Customer Question

i am planning to give my old ipad to my sister and buy a new one. i
want to make sure the transition is smooth, e.g.all my ibooks and apps
and permissions and internet settings transition smoothly, after which i
want to share my ibooks (already shared with my daughter) also with my
sister on my (old) ipad. further, several of my ibooks were purchased
under a previous apple id (still around, apparently invincible). i
tried to share these with my daughter (signing off one apple id, signing
onto another) but was for some reason not successful... anticipate the
same prob when i try to share ibooks with sister...

Category: Mac
Expert:  jstinehelfer replied 3 years ago.

jstinehelfer :

Hello my name is John and I will be glad to help you today.

jstinehelfer :

I see you are wondering about the use of Apple ID on multiple devices and how you can share your ibooks, apps, and Itunes purchases.

jstinehelfer :

I will try to summarize your answer first then I will give you a few links to Apple Support Articles so you can familiarize yourself more.

jstinehelfer :

When you use 1 apple ID on different devices then all the Ibooks, Itunes purchases, and Apps will be shared accross all devices that you have logged in to with the same apple ID.

jstinehelfer :

If you use two different apple ID's then you will not be able to do this.

jstinehelfer :

One downfall you have to be careful when using the same ID and giving the device to someone else is, they can make purchases on that device and your credit card that is on your profile will be charge. So you need to make sure they understand that.

jstinehelfer :

Now I want to give you a few links to share more knowledge with you.

jstinehelfer : Using your Apple ID for Apple services <click link
jstinehelfer :

I am sorry for all the linked articles but I wanted to give you as much information as possible. This way you can make the best decision and choice for you and your family.

jstinehelfer :

If you have more questions on this subject please ask me and I will be glad to help.

jstinehelfer :

If your satisfied with my help, please take the time in giving me a good rating. Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi john

thanks for your reply. i will go over this tomorrow and see of there are any further questions i have before signing off... i may buy the new ipad and actually go thru it real time if i feel that's necessary but doubt that will be the case. thanks. back soon!

Thank you for replying.
I will be here when your ready to ask more questions.
If you want to wipe the Ipad and put it back to factory just do a restore on it. I dont think that is what your goal is though.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it was my expectation that i would back up my current ipad via itunes, restore my newly-purchased ipad from that backup, restore my old ipad to factory settings, and then sign onto my old ipad with my itunes id and authorize that ipad (now my sisters) to share my ibooks.

but i want to buy the ipad and do this real time in case i have any questions. will do that on tuesday.

also SOME of my ibooks in my library were purchased under an old apple id. i seem to have problems sharing them. i SHOULD be able to sign onto itunes on my sisters ipad under my old ID and authorize that device to share them no? i believe i tried this with my daughters after sharing my main library and was unable to o so... perhaps it was that 90 day thing... i forget. but would like to be able to share these "old-apple-id" books, and also i want to make sure they will transfer when i restore my new ipad from backup.

after 5 days of email problems (had to migrate fm eudora to thunderbird) i just want this to go smoothly.

I believe this will be some good reading.
Its title is sharing Ibooks with family. <click link

As for the backing up the old Ipad and restoring on the new Ipad I am not sure about that. I do not think I have ever tried that. Also your newer Ipad will have different drivers to talk to different hardware. I almost want to say it should not be don't that way. If there is particular things you want to move over I would use dropbox which is free. As for Ibooks, Itunes, etc I would let Itunes and your apple Id take care of that part. Transferring from one Ipad to another Ipad.