Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

my microsoft word (and other MS applications that used to work)

my microsoft word (and other MS applications that used to work) is not opening on my mac. What should I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

I need some information to assist you better.

What happens when you open them ?

Are you getting any errors ?

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?

And what version of Office is this ? 2008 or 2011

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi! When I click on the word icon, i have a window open titled "Microsoft word cannot be opened because of a problem". Problem details (let me know which one you need):

Process: Microsoft word.

path: ...

Identifier...

version...

build info...

code type...

parent processs: launchd [116]

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5

Report version: 9

Execption tyep: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

...

Dyld error message:

Symbol not found...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Tell me the code type.

What version of Office is this ? Office 2011 ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Code type: X86 (native)

microsoft office 2011

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the Info. Do you have the Office installation disc or installation file ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I assume I should have an installation file. I don't have an office disc.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Did you downloaded it from Microsoft site ? Then you should have the installation file.

Also, you have the serial number for your Office 2011. Right ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did not download it, and don't have the serial number. I am a university professor, travelling abroad. All was installed by our IT department back home. This happened to me once before, and I think the IT guy solved the problem by somehow "updating" the programs.

The problem was that none of the applications just worked. I was able, for example, to update the adobe reader program, and it now works. I am not sure how to "update" the microsoft word, or the other microsoft applications.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Michelle, this usually happens if the Office is duplicated, moved or corrupted. We may need to reinstall the Office.

But before that, we can try some basic troubleshooting steps. On your Mac, goto Macintosh HD. Open Applications folder. Open Microsoft Office folder. Can you see Word, Excel or Power Point in there ? If so, open it and are you getting any errors ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure how to go to the Macintosh HD.

I was able to click on my "Windows 7 Applications" folder at the bottom right on my screen, choose "applications" menu, there i see "microsoft officde 2011" menu, I click on that and a folder nemd "microsoft office 2011" opened. There, there are items for MS excell, outlook, powerpoint, word. When I click on word, I get the same error window I wrote about before.

Clicking on excel, I get a simlar problem window. Same "code type", i.e. X86 (Native).

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Macintosh HD is your hard disk's name. It may have another name like Mac HD, My HD etc and all your files or folders are saved in the Macintosh HD. You can access it from desktop or in Finder window (in left column)

Open it and open Applications folder. Open it and can you see your Microsoft Office folder there ? See the picture below;
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sure. When I accessed it this way, I get the same response (problem window).

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
In Macintosh HD > Applications > Microsoft Office folder, can you see all the office applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) in there ?

And do you see any duplicates of those office applications ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't see any duplicates of office applications under the microsoft office 2011 folder.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Can you delete the Microsoft Office folder from the "Windows 7 Applications" folder and then open any office application from Macintosh HD > Applications > Microsoft Office ? (Don't empty the trash)

Let me know if you are still getting the error
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Michelle, if you are still getting the error then we can apply the latest upate on it manually see if it works or not. Download and install the Office for Mac Update 14.3.6 Update from here : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39634

If that didn't work, then we have to reinstall your Office completely. Download and install Office for Mac from here : http://mac.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php?p=87747&t=0&i=1

It is a big file, so it will take a while to download.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great, it worked! I first had to install the service pack 1 (the office update didn't update prior to me doing that), and then the office update, and now it all runs. Thanks!

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Glad to hear that Michelle. If you've any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm happy to help you :)

Best Regards,