Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products

my 9 yr old son changed his password XXXXX his ipad and promptly

my 9 yr old son changed his password XXXXX his ipad and promptly forgot it. Now we are locked out. How can I unlock in a way to preserve all of his videos, photos and apps?

Sorry to hear that your iPad is now locked out...:(
The ipad says itis now disabled, correct?

Have you ever synced your iPad with iTunes in the computer?

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No- just figured it was synched to iCloud.

Thank you, Louis.

We can get rid of the password, but the retrieval of the data depends on whether you have them in the backup.

However, all your itunes/app store purchases are linked with your apple ID, so they are all safe. We can redownload them without having to pay again.

Since you were syncing it to icloud, let's try a remote wipe first. If that does not work, we will go with itunes in the computer.

Let's go to the following website

Sign in with your icloud apple ID and password. Once in, click on "Find my iphone". If your ipad is connected to the wifi/3g network, it will display the location of your ipad. Click on "Devices" at the top left and click on your ipad name.

Now you will have an option to "erase ipad". Click on it.

This will erase the contents on your ipad and the ipad will be as if it is new. Now configure the ipad again and choose the option "restore from backup" and select the latest backup.

Let me know if you find any difficulty. If your ipad is not in icloud, then this process will not work, and let me know and we can go for the itunes mode restore.

Thank You