Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.

Just purchased a new MacBook last week. Upgraded the harddrive

Just purchased a new MacBook last week. Upgraded the harddrive myself and it was fine. Just recently it began restarting randomly and now I can't get it to stay on long enough to use disk utility from a bootable thumbrive to check the hardware or repair permissions. About to take it back to best buy but is there Anyang I should do first?

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you, I will need additional information. So far, it does sound hard ware related but there are some steps we can take to isolate your issue further. If you still have the original hard drive, what happens when you install it?

Customer: I do have the original hard drive. Haven't reinstalled it yet. Did get the computer on. There is supposed to be some kind of crash log that will tell me what the problem is. How do I access it?
Appleologist :

The application that allows you to view your crash log is called console. Just click on the magnifying glass in the upper right corner and type in console.

Appleologist :

When it shuts off again, try to reset your PRAM

Customer: Btw I am using my ipad to chat now.
Customer: Console is open. Is there anything that would be useful?
Appleologist :

In the left column, click on System Diagnostic reports Is there anything listed

Customer: Yes. It there is some thing dated from a few days ago.
Appleologist :

Can you make out what it says?

Appleologist :

if you click on the arrow next to The diagnostic report, it should show you the application

Appleologist :

Next, click on /Library/Logs and click on Crash Reporter. Is there anything listed there?

Customer: On the left side under system diagnostic report it says pluginprocess_2013-07-27-143409_localhostcrash
Appleologist :

That does not sounds like that is the issue.

Appleologist :

click on /Library/Logs and click on Crash Reporter. Is there anything listed there?

Customer: nothing under that crash reporter
Appleologist :

Ok you can close console. Console will not record hard ware failures. If nothing is showing up pertaining to your constant restarts we can start looking at Resetting your PRAM first and then I will advise you to insert your old Hard drive

Customer: Ok. How do I reset pram?
Appleologist :

1.Shut down the computer.

2.Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3.Turn on the computer.

4.Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears. Let computer chime 4 times

5.Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound four time.s

6.Release the keys.

Customer: k
Customer: will tell you when it's done
Appleologist :

Customer: think I did it.
Customer: Now I see my login page
Appleologist :

Log in and let your computer sit to see if it will shut off. How long does it normally take to shut off?

Customer: It's unpredictable. It'll be fine for days then it'll start shutting down randomly. Today was definitely the worst. Couldn't get it to stay on.
Customer: Is there anything to be learned using disk utility from the bootable thumbrive?
Appleologist :

Disk utility will only tell you if there is something wrong with the hard drive

Appleologist :

You can run a quick scan to see if the drive is ok

Customer: Online I think saw that at one point there was a problem like this caused by a bad logic board. What do you think it could be. I am guessing that I should take out my hard drive and bring it back
Customer: The scan said its ok.
Appleologist :

I defiantly do not think it is the hard drive. You may have even accidentally shocked the logic board while replacing the hard drive if you were not grounded wearing ESD protective wear. ( Small chance but does happen) Since you only had it a week, my suggestion is to place the old HD back into the computer and exchange the machine where you purchased it

Customer: Ok thanks.
Appleologist :

No problem. Best of luck. Was there anything els I can assist you with?