Daniel Whelan
Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Support Professional, Full Time Mac Technical Manager for 8+ years, HND Photography
20625641

I have CCD-TRV1238 and want to import my video into my new

I have CCD-TRV1238 and want to import my video into my new iMac which has iMovie 11 9.09 on it The back of the computer has USB plugs, an SD card plug, headphones, and a "Gigabite Ethernet plug. How do I hook my camera up to it?

Daniel Whelan :

Hi, it seems you need audio and video in to go direct from the camera to the imac so thats not possible obviously. Which pinnacle systems movie box do you have and what cable goes from it to the old imac?

Customer:

It is a Pinnacle Movie Box DV. It has a firewire cable, that went from it to back of old iMac. it is not USB. I will take a picture of it, and the Gigabite one too, and send if I can by attaching. Hopefully won't take me more than a few minutes. If I had a cable with the two different ends, I think it would work. Unless there is another way. Let me take a pic, I'll send to iPhoto, then will attach tto your response to this one. Something has to work. Can't believe this.

Daniel Whelan :

Is it firewire 400 or 800?

Daniel Whelan :

I presume your mac has a thunderbolt port?

Customer:

Yes, it has two thunderbolt ports. Here is attached pic of the Firewire cable on the left, that goes into the Pinnacle box, and other end (same) used to go to old iMac. and the Gigabite Ethernet port connector on the right, which now has a plug on the back of my new iMac. (It is a Sony TVR-138, not sure if I typed that correct first tim)

Firewire, Ethernet connections
Full Size Image
.

Customer:

Are you gone? Says you stepped out. Wha

Daniel Whelan :

Stepping in and out of different questions. Thanks for the photo. Thats a firewire 400 lead. I dont know if you can use the ethernet cable to transfer to your mac from the pinnacle movie box dv, I'll look into it. What you possibly could do is buy a firewire 400 to 800 cable and also an apple thunderbolt to firewire adaptor.

Customer:

OK, I see both are available at the Apple store, the Thunderbolt to Firewire adaptor is $29 and the 800/400 cable is $29.95. If that works, I'll be in business. So it will go camera to Pinnacle (no problem have that) then 400/800 Firewire cable from Pinnacle to Thunderbolt adaptor, to Thunderbolt plug back of computer. Correct?

Daniel Whelan :

Thats correct but before you do that I'll check if you can connect via ethernet first.

Daniel Whelan :

Can you tell me if this pdf is your box. ftp://ftp.pinnaclesys.de/manuals/pc/Studio9_Hardware/MovieBox%20DV/MovieBoxDV_Europe.pdf

Customer:

That's it.

Daniel Whelan :

I thought it had a gigabit port on it but it doesn't so it's the firewire method only. Obviously I cant guarantee that the thunderbolt to firewire adaptor and 800/400 cable will work with your setup. It should because it's all digital signals but I cant guarantee it.

Customer:

OK, I hooked up the two cables, connected my Videocamera, and it WORKS!!! It imported. Get this though. The 800/400 end that connects to the Pinnacle box at first would not go all the way in. I freaked. Belkin put more plastic around the metal at the end. I had to cut with an exacto knife a hair over 1/8" of plastic so it would grab and hold the connector in the Pinnacle box. See attached pic.

Belkin FW800-400 End modified
Full Size Image

Customer:

Thank you so much Daniel, Good show! I'm in business. You must be wearing a cape with an S on the back... Mark

Daniel Whelan :

That's great news and great thinking about shaving a bit off. Please rate my service as excellent, good or ok. Thanks.