Daniel Whelan
Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Support Professional, Full Time Mac Technical Manager for 8+ years, HND Photography
20625641

I have been through 3 wireless mouses and now my wireless printer

I have been through 3 wireless mouses and now my wireless printer is not working. For some reason the bluetooth feature is not being picked up by the computer. The printer and the mouses are all connected by bluetooth, are they interfering or is there something wrong with the computer. It is a fairly new desktop MAC.

Daniel Whelan :

Hi, I will try to help. In theory they should all work fine and you certainly should not have to change 3 mice in such a short time. In practice I used to change all the wireless keyboards and mice with usb versions as it was just too much hassle dealing with dozens of wireless devices in a big studio when there was always some problem. However none of this solves you issues. Can I just ask are you buying apple wireless mice or different brands? I am presuming you have changed the batteries on the mice to see if that helps? Is the keyboard wireless or USB?

Customer:

The first mouse was an apple and I changed the batteries several times. The next two were gear head brand and I put brand new batteries in them several times. The printer, which is also not connecting anymore is Lexmark.

Daniel Whelan :

You could buy a tiny usb adaptor like this onehttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinivo-BTD-300-Bluetooth-3-0-adapter/dp/B005Z5HT2M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375359058&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+adapter+mac

Daniel Whelan :

is your mac an imac or a tower or a mac mini?

Customer:

It is just a regular desktop MAC no tower, the tower is built into the screen, I think. I will look into the USB adaptor you listed. I had a wireless mouse at my office that had a usb connection similar, so it was a two piece set.

Daniel Whelan :

OK, its an imac in that case. You don't have to get that particular one, however some of the reviewers have attached it to macs and said it works fine. If the wireless mouse and adaptor at your office are bluetooth you could try them but be aware it might not work with a mac if it is a pc only adaptor.

Customer:

Great! I will try that thanks a lot. So, basically there is nothing wrong with the computer itself.

Customer:

I will give it a go. Thanks again.

Daniel Whelan :

It's possible there is something wrong with the bluetooth adaptor in the mac but its very difficult to diagnose. It could be software related also, there are other things we could try but if I were you I'd try a different adaptor first, especially if you can borrow one from your office.

Customer:

Thanks again, I will start with that. Great advice!!

Daniel Whelan :

No problem, let me know how you get on.