John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

Hi, My Mac Book Pro had some updates due: - Java for Mac

My Mac Book Pro had some updates due:

- Java for Mac OS 10.6
- Security update(NNN) NNN-NNNN
- itunes

It's a 15,4 Mac Book Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

Right now it's been almost a half hour and it still has a blue screen with the rotary wheel still spinning.

Does it usually take this long?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

To clarify, the updates already installed and the system restarted or did it not make it as far as a restart?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi John,

I didn't hear it restart but I left the room. Does the blue screen usually come after the restart?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes it is seen just before shutdown but can be seen during startup, as well... Depending on where it is may make the difference on how far into the update process it got.

However, at this point we know at least this much; if it's been 30 minutes or more then the update installation has run into a problem of some sort. The only option now is to force a power off and see what it gets us.

Hold the power button down until the system shuts off, then restart it.

If it boots back to the desktop, try checking for updates once more (System Preferences > Software Update > Check Now) to see if the same updates are offered or if it appears they installed already.

If the system locks up during the blue screen again, try this;

Restart your Mac

As soon as you hear the Startup chime, press and hold the SHIFT key

Continue to hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Then, let go of the Shift key and let it boot to the Desktop and try the update again.

If you still have issues, report back and let me know if you have your original OS X install CD handy for troubleshooting/maintenance purposes.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi John,

After I did the force power off, it restarted... gray screen with apple and it went directly into installing the 3 items.

It installed and restarted by itself and now I have my regular screen and things look good.

But do you think it ran into some glitch? or at some point should it be looked at by my service tech at the Mac shop?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
I think it's likely a software issue, maybe a permissions problem, but it probably corrected it itself upon restart.

You can check permissions on the drive (and it will repair any, if needed) by doing the following.

In the Finder, click on "Go" in the menubar and choose "Utilities"

Locate the "Disk Utility" app and open it

In the left hand sidebar, choose your Mac's Hard Drive (Usually "Macintosh HD").

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

If you have your OS X 10.6 Install CD handy, you can also check the drive for any file system problems;

Insert the OS X install CD.

Restart the computer and as soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the "C" key to boot from the disc. You can release the "C" when you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Choose your language and click to continue.

When you are sitting at the Introductory Installer screen (DO NOT INSTALL), go up to "Utilities" in the menubar and choose Disk Utility.

In the left hand sidebar, choose your Mac's hard drive (usually "Macintosh HD").

On the right hand side of the page, click "Repair Disk"

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK.

Once the process has completed, restart your Mac.

This is generally the most common solution for many minor software issues.

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry