Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
12024030

My I-Pad screen doesnt rotate anymore. The on-line manual

My I-Pad screen doesn't rotate anymore. The on-line manual seems to indicate that I need to that I go to Settings, General, Use Side Switch, toggle Lock Rotation, uncheck. However, that is not working to unlock the rotation.

What happens if I Reset all settings. Do I lose all my icons and programs

BeBoo :

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer, a paid expert support site. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be glad to assist you with your issue.

BeBoo :

Along the top of the screen are some icons. In the top right, near the battery, do you see a padlock with an arrow in a circle?

Customer:

Yes

BeBoo :

Ok, double-tap your home button and swipe the bar along the bottom to the right. You should see that same icon as the first button (left side). Tap it and tap out. The iPad should now rotate.

Customer:

No, I don't see it on the bottom.

BeBoo :

This button:

Full Size Image

Customer:

No, it's not there. In that spot it appears to be a speaker icon.

BeBoo :

Ah, because you are using the side switch for orientation lock.

Customer:

How do I change that?

Customer:

I just changed the setting to Mute which gave me the icon. But I changed it to unlock, & the screen is still not rotating.

BeBoo :

You can either flip the physical switch which is located on the left of the device (above the volume buttons) to toggle orientation lock or you can go into Settings, then General and change the side switch to Mute. This will put the orientation lock on your multitask bar instead.

Customer:

I take it back. It is rotating now..

BeBoo :

Great.

Customer:

However, I experimented by changing the setting, & now again it is not rotating.

BeBoo :

Try flipping the switch on the left side of the device.

BeBoo :

Above the volume buttons

Customer:

OK, I did the 1st operation you said with the bottom menu & it is rotating now. I guess I need to use both settings, at the bottom and the General. Am I correct?

BeBoo :

Yes, that is correct

Customer:

Which button on the side?

Customer:

What does that button do?

BeBoo :

You can slide it up and down based on what is set in General

Customer:

It doesn't seem to do anything.

BeBoo :

In General, it mentions the side switch and you choose the function of it.

Customer:

It seems that all I have to do to rotate or non-rotate is that bottom menu (tapping the Home key twice). It seems like I don't have to go into Settings at all.

BeBoo :

No, you don't. The option in settings controls what that switch does.

BeBoo :

Right now, it is probably set to "Mute", correct

BeBoo :

?

Customer:

So, what are my choices of that function in Settings?

Customer:

Yes, it is set to Mute, because that was the only way I could uncheck the Lock Rotation. Is there any other setting but toggling between those 2? (I.E can I uncheck both? And what does the Mutes setting do?)

BeBoo :

Let me see if I can explain. The setting in General gives you the choice of what that side switch does. If you set it to mute, the switch on the side will silence the iPad if the switch is on (down). If it is set to Orientation, it will lock the orientation if the switch is down.

BeBoo :

Whichever option is chosen, the opposite is available by double-tapping home.

Customer:

Then I guess there is no way to uncheck both Mute and Lock Rotation.

BeBoo :

No, because the side switch needs to do one of those two functions. Just leave it set to Mute if you like the orientation lock under the double-tab

BeBoo :

tap*

Customer:

I guess I can figure that out, with your help.

BeBoo :

This article might help: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4085

Customer:

I have downloaded that & will keep it for reference.

BeBoo :

Great. So, is it working as you would like?

Customer:

Yes. I will give you an excellent rating, but I have to say, $38.00 is a high price for a simple matter. However, I guess Apple has us by the ______s.

BeBoo :

Thank you for the rating. If you need anything else, please let me know.

Customer:

I guess you have no comment as to the price.

BeBoo :

Sorry, I am just a tech. As far as I was aware, you, as the customer, set the price

BeBoo :

I can forward your request to customer service if you wish.

Customer:

I was required to pay that price for your assistance. Yes, please forward my request to Customer Assistance

BeBoo :

Gladly. What price would you like it reduced to?

Customer:

$20.00 would be fair.

BeBoo :

Great. I will forward this on. Please wait to rate the service until you have heard from customer service.

Customer:

Thank you

BeBoo :

No problem. Have a great rest of your day.

Customer:

You too.