Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

safari frozen( lion) pop up from website- cannot scroll down

Customer Question

safari frozen( lion) pop up from website- cannot scroll down to cancel, popup is too long vertically. Have quit safari and fired it up using shift button. Screen size is highest resolution on 13 in monitor and I cannot get popup to "fit"
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Does this popup appears every time you open Safari ? Do you want to get rid of that popup ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it has frozen safari

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Did you tried force quitting Safari ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes-

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Edward, we can force quit Safari and then reset Safari's preferences. Press Command + Option + Esc keys. This will bring Force Quit window. From the Force Quit window, select Safari and click Force Quit. Then on finder, hold down Option key on your Keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will take you to the Library folder of your User Account. Open Preferences folder.

Trash the file named "com.apple.safari.plist" from there. This will reset Safari settings to default. Now, open Safari.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Edward, can you see my reply ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ASHIK- I do not know how to access Library since I have Lion operating system

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
The Library folder on Lion is hidden by default. But there is a shortcut to access it directly. In finder, hold down Option key on your Keyboard, click on Go menu in the finder menu and select Library. This will take you to the Library folder of your User Account. Open Preferences folder. Trash the file named "com.apple.safari.plist" from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks- Found library and deleted safari.plist as instructed. reopened Safari, no change.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried restarting your Mac ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Edward, lets force turn off your Mac and then boot into Safe Mode. Press and hold down the Power button of your Mac for 10 seconds and your Mac will turn off. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Shift key on your Keyboard. Keep it held down until it boot into Safe Mode desktop. Then open Safari.

If you are able to open Safari, then click on Safari menu and select "Reset Safari". Check all options and click Reset Safari. Then restart your Mac as normal.

Did that work ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did everything you said. Opened Safari and it would not reset

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
It is supposed to reset. Do you have any other browser on your Mac ? like Firefox
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Edward, we can uninstall Safari completely using Uninstaller and reinstall a new version of Safari. If you are talking to me from different computer, then download the following files to that computer.

AppCleaner Uninstaller---> http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

Safari (Installer)--> http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/23/43/041-9947/nhdrfwwon5q2z00wm0i88hbd643yxo82dj/Safari6.0.4Lion.pkg

Now copy those downloaded files to a USB drive or a DVD, then put it on your Mac and copy those files to your Mac. Then open AppCleaner application on your Mac. Load Safari in AppCleaner. AppCleaner will load Safari and all its related files in it. Then delete them (in AppCleaner).

After deleting open the Safari installer and install Safari using Safari installer above.

This will delete old Safari and its corrupted settings and install fresh one. Remember, Safari will be reset to new.

Let me know how it goes Edward.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Gave you a rating and a gratuity

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Got it. Thank you so much Edward :)