Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My iMac is exceedingly slow today. I just removed all the

My iMac is exceedingly slow today. I just removed all the open windows and it's still slow. Can you help me?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

It must be a glitch in memory. First, we can reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac and see if that works or not.
  1. Turn off your Mac
  2. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime/startup sound.
  3. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  4. Release the keys and the let the Mac boot up to desktop.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Ashik.....

Well, I tried what you suggested and I've turned on firefox again. Not sure how to check if it's up to its normal speed though. It still seems sluggish, but I want to be objective about this.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Peggy, if it is still slow then goto Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column. Then click Repair Permission. Then click Verify Disk and Repair Disk if asked to repair. Then turn off your Mac and unplug the power cable from your Mac. Wait 10 seconds, connect it and turn it back on. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't hear nearly as many "bubbles" as I did earlier. I think it's faster now. Again, is there a way to check it? Any place to look on the computer to find a quantifiable improvement?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Peggy, only way to check is use it. Use it and see if it becomes slow. No other place to check it. And Peggy, we can run some maintanances and clean your Mac as well. Download and install this utility, Onyx from here : http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

(Download the correct version of Onyx for your Mac OS X. You can find the different versions in the Related Links in the above page. Make sure you download the correct version of Onyx)

Open Onyx. In Onyx, click on Maintenance tab. Select Rebuild tab, check all boxes and then Execute. The under Cleaning select System and User and check all boxes on both and Execute. This will fix all system files, clean out old unwanted files and caches etc from your Mac.

BTW keep Onyx. It is the best maintainance utility out there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have an iMac 10.8.4, and that version is not covered by Onyx. Otherwise, sounds like a good thing. I am pretty IT illiterate. You don't suppose I made a mistake so far as Onyx goes, do you?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Download the default version. The default one is for 10.8 Mountain Lion

This is common with Macs. No, Onyx is just a small maintainance program. We are just running Onyx to clean up your Mac which will improve the perfomance of your Mac.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I hate to be so high maintenance, but I downloaded the Onyx software and then when I tried to open it I get this message: "Onyx" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers." I don't know how to rectify that. When I open "security and privacy" the message says that my firewall is inert. What else is there that I can adjust that would allow use of Onyx?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Goto System Preferences and open Security and Privacy. Click on General tab. Select Anywhere under the Allow Applications downoaded from option. Then try to install Onyx.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got hung up again. A message pops up that says, "OnyX" requires that you type an administrator name and password." The name which appears in the blank is mine, peggy, and the password XXXXX is blank. My normal "password" to alter my computer settings is simply a click of the "return" key. That doesn't work in this instance. Any clues?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hmm that should work then. Goto System Preferences > Users & Groups. Select your account and just change the password XXXXX something and close it. Install using new password. Did that work ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Peggy, If your Mac is not slow like before then you don't need to run Onyx. It is not mandatory to run it. But if possible, then run it.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I finally ran it, and all is well. Thank you very much, Ashik!

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You're most welcome Peggy. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me Positively.

If you've any questions in the future, you can ask me directly through here : http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=16433418&FID=84

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Peggy,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ashik, I already rated your service as excellent. Did you not see the rating??

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Peggy, Yes. Thank You. I just want to make sure your Mac is working properly now.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. It's good. Thanks!!