Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

Working on getting you info, hold on a sec

Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

Question.. When you removed the leaking battery, and tried a new battery.

Did you attempt again to do a Command P & R startup?

If not, please try the following

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Once thats done.. Can you start up, or.. Can you at least get the computer running without it shutting down 30 seconds later?

Please reply to me whether this works or not, as I realize that we may need to go through several steps in order to resolve this. This is just an opening step to start with.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green submit button to rate the answer.

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

D., exactly the same behavior after I release the keys after the second startup sound.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Hmmm.. The battery leak you mentioned worries me..

When you start with command R.. it immediately shuts down in thirty seconds?

What about if you start with verbose mode .. Heres how

Shut down your Mac if it is on.
2. Press the power button to start the computer.
3. Immediately press and hold the Command (Apple) key and the V key

Does that take you to a screen where you can type in commands ? Or does it shut down right away?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It takes me to black pages with white lettering, almost like the old DOS, continues scrolling and then poof when it reaches CPU halted

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
It actually says, CPU halted?

Ok.. we need to run a repair.. Instead of using the V key when we boot

Use the S key.. then, you should be able to type in this command

fsck_hfs -r /dev/disk0s2

if we run that command, you should then be able to boot, at least into safe mode.. If you can boot into safe mode..
immeditely back up any important files, because your going to want to restore the OS soon, and reinstall it.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

D. after inputted command, several lines, final line, ** The volume Mac HD could not be repaired.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok, try these two commands next

/sbin/mount -wu

then next

/sbin/fsck -fy

will it complete the repair that way?

If not, then your going to have to boot from the mac install disk, and then reisnatll the os as follows.

Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*
3. Click the Erase tab.
4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
5. Select your Mac OS X volume.
6. Highlight the drive, select Partition Tab, then Format type... MacOS Extended Journalled, select the Security Options button, choose Zero Out Data, Erase... after completion hopefully you'll be able to install.

Take note that if we have to reinstall, your going to lose all your data and files.. So if you have a second mac. you may want to connect the two macs by firewire. And try to start this mac in Target disk mode as follows

• Start the broken Mac while holding down the ‘T’ key until you see a Firewire or Thunderbolt icon displayed on screen, this tells us the mac is now in target disk mode.
  • Then, restart the working mac, and when it boots up.. It should pick up the other macs hard drive, and allow you to explore it and copy the files. ( unless the hard drive is too damaged)

Hopefully you wont have to backup the files and then reinstall the OS.

but if the last commands I sent also fail.. Then, this is the next step that we'd have to do to repair the mac.

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

D. thanks for the effort, but no, it did not work. Last line before the :/ root# XXXXX /dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
The exited with signal 8 message, is telling you that the directory of your boot volume is irreparably damaged as the result of a disk error

You only have two basic options.

Replace the hard drive and install the os on a new hard drive.

Or attempt reinstalling the OS on this hard drive..

If you want to try and save this hard drive, then we have to try and install the OS again.. Heres how

3. Click the Erase tab.
5. Select your Mac OS X volume.

If this doesnt work, I can find a low cost replacement hard drive for you, just let me know.

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't lose the info on the PC, worth more than the PC. And, I am not home where the disks are, at my Mom's 1,250 miles away, Miami. So that is not an option. Luckily, I have time capsule and time machine last backup was yesterday before the boot up problem/crash. So, will be going to Apple store for genius bar support and may pick up another PC. Please reply so that I can leave you a smiley and pay the $. Tks for the effort, best, Fernando

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome Fernando, and if you take that mac to the Genuis Bar, please mention Target disk mode.. If they can get that to work.. Then they can make a complete backup for you.

Other then that..

In the future if you need anything you can ask me specifically your questions at my profile link on Just Answer..

Make sure to ask the question through the box on my page, and also, Start it with For D.Sandlin Only

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-dsandlin/

I enjoyed working with you, your responses were well detailed and you seemed to be able to carry out and enter some of the technical commands without issue. Id be happy to work with you again in the future.

Dustin S>
Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment