Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm

in entourage i have a spinning wheel, i tried to hold down

in entourage i have a spinning wheel, i tried to hold down the shift key but there is nothing in the outbox holding it up, any suggestions now???
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.

BeBoo :

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer, a paid expert support site. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be glad to assist you with your issue.

Customer:

in entourage all i get is a spinning wheel, i tried holding down the shift and deleting anything in my outbox but there was nothing there -- any suggestions???

BeBoo :

Entourage is a very very picky program. This can typically happen with a corrupt database. What you will want to do is force quit Entourage. You can do this by going to the Apple menu and choose Force Quit. Choose Entourage from the list and click the Force Quit button. From there, hold down the Option key and click the Entourage icon to launch it. You should get a different window instead, a Microsoft Database Utility. Rebuild your identity. This will take some time.

BeBoo :

Once that completes, close the window and try launching Entourage again normally.

Customer:

just did the above, re-started & the spinning wheel re-appreared, next step???

BeBoo :

Ok, does it appear as soon as you open Entourage?

Customer:

after about 3 or 4 seconds....

Customer:

about 50 emailed were recovered and then re-loaded.......then i hit send / receive and it started spinning....

BeBoo :

Ok. I wonder if it is a preference issue.

BeBoo :

Please force quit Entourage again.

BeBoo :

Click out to your desktop and choose the Go menu and choose Home.

BeBoo :

Err, sorry, not home. Hold down the Option key and choose Library

BeBoo :

Open the Preferences folder. View the folder as a list from the View menu if it isn't already. Look for a file called com.microsoft.Entourage.plist and delete it

BeBoo :

Also, find the Microsoft folder and drag it to your desktop.

BeBoo :

Once those two items have been moved, please re-launch Entourage.

Customer:

where is the go menu?

BeBoo :

After you click out to your desktop, it is at the top of the screen.

Customer:

i found it, it won't delete...

Customer:

i drug it to the desktop and put it in the trash, will that work?

Customer:

where is the microsoft folder?

BeBoo :

That is fine. Oh, sorry, go back one and open Application Support.

BeBoo :

You should see the Microsoft folder in there.

Customer:

under home?

Customer:

go, applications, Microsoft folder should be there?

Customer:

ok i just drug to desktop microsoft 2004

Customer:

it wasn't application support, just application, now try to restart?

BeBoo :

Just re-open Entourage, yes

Customer:

no luck, opened up entourage & it the spinning wheel started immediately :(

BeBoo :

Hrm.

Customer:

any suggestions???

BeBoo :

Thinking of what else we can try.

BeBoo :

Ok, please go back into Preferences and remove all of these files:

• com.microsoft.entourage.database_daemon.plist

• com.microsoft.entourage.database_utility.plist

• com.microsoft.entourage.office_reminders.plist

• com.microsoft.entourage.plist

• com.microsoft.entourage.syncservices12.plist

BeBoo :

(after force quitting Entourage)

Customer:

i will, thanks man i am running a conference call so i will try in 20 minutes...

Customer:

those are not even listed...

Customer:

who can help now????

Customer:

so where do we go now...

Customer:

this needs to get fixed ASAP!!!!!

BeBoo :

Can we do a remote session?

Customer:

i would prefer to actually speak to someone....

Customer:

XXX-XXX-XXXX

BeBoo :

We don't have phone support, sorry.

Customer:

well then tell me how to fix this issue then

Customer:

what do you mean by remote then?

BeBoo :

I would be able to remotely control your computer and test a few things out

Customer:

ok let's do it

BeBoo :

Great. Please click here and run the program that is downloaded: http://166.78.231.170:8040/?Session=6d746b2a-775c-4edf-81ce-c8224b4d36e6

Customer:

ok were good

BeBoo :

Ok, I will take control now.

Customer:

should i stay on this page???

BeBoo :

Yes, that is fine.

BeBoo :

I will bring it up if I need to reply.

Customer:

ok thanks just let me know if i need to do anything

BeBoo :

Ok

BeBoo :

When you did the database utility, you did rebuild, not verify database integrity, correct?

Customer:

yes, i did re-build

Customer:

it was the 3rd one down...

BeBoo :

Ok

BeBoo :

The problem with Entourage is that everything is stored in a single file

BeBoo :

I cannot see your cursor, is it spinning now

BeBoo :

?

BeBoo :

If you go into Entourage

Customer:

yup, it was not, but as soon as i click send & receive it does

BeBoo :

Ok. hrm.

BeBoo :

Let's try a new profile

Customer:

still the spinning wheel....

BeBoo :

Is it spinning while it was archiving?

Customer:

nope, it ended so i tried to hit send.....then it started again,

BeBoo :

Ok, then we can try importing the archive.

BeBoo :

I wonder if it is having trouble downloading a single email.

Customer:

I imagine that is what it is....

BeBoo :

It always freezes trying to download an email. Can you please log into your Gmail and maybe we can see what is causing it?

Customer:

ok, let me try that...

Customer:

i am in gmail right now, no issues or problems...

BeBoo :

Hrm, that might be hard to decipher since there are 49 to download

BeBoo :

Looks like it might be a reply from that email. Do you mind if I open them to determine?

Customer:

do anything you need to do bro :)

BeBoo :

So, that appears to be the next email in line. We can try deleting it to see if Entourage will continue on. What do you think?

Customer:

go ahead...

BeBoo :

That was it. It was a stuck email.

BeBoo :

Look good so far?

BeBoo :

I disconnected from the remote control. We can open a new one if needed.

Customer:

yeah man, looks great, thanks for all of your hard work...

Customer:

i will give you raving reviews for sure

BeBoo :

No problem at all. I hope I have been helpful in today's session. It has been a pleasure working with you. Please be sure to rate the service you received today by choosing a rating in the bottom right corner. You may also provide a tip after rating, if you feel I deserve one (thank you in advance!). Should you wish to request me in the future, you can bookmark/favorite my profile page by clicking my name on the left. Have a great rest of your day.

Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm