Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

why does my

Customer Question

why does my latest version iPad mini have a FaceTime lag over wifi (up to several seconds or more), when my old vista pc using skype or Facebook videochat over the same wifi network does not?
both simultaneously with iPad facetime, and also independent of each other, when the other was turned off.
when it was just skype or Facebook video chat, there was no lag.
when it was iPad FaceTime, even by itself, with computer off, there was still lag.
is it a hardware limitation of the iPad?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

No it is not a hardware limitation. iPad Mini does support Factime without any lags or problems.

There may be several things that is causing the problem i.e, like interference with wifi, iPad is no getting enough bandwidth, DNS problem etc

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not. First we can reset your iPad and see if that works or not. On your iPad, press and hold the Power button and the Home button at the SAME TIME until the Apple logo appears. Then release the button sand let your iPad boot. Then goto Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset Network Settings.

This will reset the network settings of your iPad. Now connect back to your WiFi and then try Facetime. Note : Resetting network settings will delete all network settings of your iPad, like saved WiFi passwords, saved cellular settings etc

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX try it.

but we won't be able to experiment with our connection until friday night, so the soonest i can get back to you with results or further questions about what else to try, will be sometime saturday.

btw, i am on a mac connected directly to a router by ethernet cable.

i have no wifi needs on my end, all hard wired.

my ISP service is very high speed, so it should not be my problem.

i have nothing else going on on my network except my computer connection, while on FaceTime.

the ipad end i think is the source of the lag times, but what is causing it is the problem...

thanks

randy

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Randy, On your Mac, goto www.speedtest.net website and run the test to get the Download and Upload Speed (Internet speed) of your Mac.

Then on your iPad, goto App Store and download the application named Speedtest

Run Speedtest on your iPad too using the downloaded application. Then compare the speed/results of your iPad with your Mac. That should tell how much speed you are getting on your iPad.

We can also tweak your iPad's internet connection which will improve the connection. First add OpenDNS servers to your wireless network of your iPad. In your iPad, tap Settings. Tap Wifi. Tap your WiFi's name, tap the blue icon like this '>' and it will bring the WiFi network settings. In the bottom you can see he DNS, change it to 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220

Then restart your iPad and try Facetime.

And Randy, add a bookmark of this page so you can get back to me directly any time you want (even if you rated the answer)

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

as i said, i'll try your suggestions tonight and let you know tomorrow if i need more help or not...

thanks

randy

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ok Randy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi, well, we tried again tonight, and the kids were away on the other end, and obviously no one was tying up bandwidth, because connection was perfect.

we never needed to try any of your suggestions, or even had a chance to.

it all just worked the way it was supposed to, as soon as no one else in the household was stealing wifi bandwidth.

so do i still have to pay for possible solutions that were never used or tried or necessary?

thanks

randy

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
It is your choice Randy. If you want to pay, then you can pay. If you are not satisfied with my service, then you don't have to pay.

But Randy I've already gave you the correct answer to your question. Your questions were "why does my latest version iPad mini have a FaceTime lag over wifi (up to several seconds or more), when my old vista pc using skype or Facebook videochat over the same wifi network does not?" and "is it a hardware limitation of the iPad?"

My answer was "No it is not a hardware limitation. iPad Mini does support Factime without any lags or problems.

There may be several things that is causing the problem i.e, like interference with wifi, iPad is not getting enough bandwidth, DNS problem etc"

I was correct about the bandwidth. Right ?

Randy, IMO You should secure your wireless network. So one one except you will be able to access the network. If you need help with that, please let me know.

Have a great day,
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi, ok so we had more hassles with connection again.

same lag time problems with FaceTime.

no one else in house, so no competition for wifi...

we did the special reset thing, as well as changing the DNS etc.

hasn't helped at all.

don't know why it worked one night and not next?

what else can be done?

so we tried Skype on iPad, and it works almost perfectly, unlike FaceTime.

not as good as laptop, but pretty good.

i thought from all the forums, that ipad facetime was way better than iPad Skype, or so they say.

any way can something be done?

thanks

randy

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Randy, can you run Speed test on your iPad and let me know the results please ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, i'm actually on an iMac with cable ethernet, but the other end is on an ipad over wifi.

i'll have to get them to run speed test, and get back to you..

just for your info, my iPad here speed test is:

ping ms -11

download 21.72 mb/s

upload 2.60 mb/s

thanks

randy

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
21.72 on iPad is a pretty good speed and there shouldn't be any problem with that speed. Are you sure the party on the other end have a good connection ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well, like i said, that is just my ipad on my end, but i don't use it for facetime.

i use my imac with ethernet connection.

it is the ipad on the other end with wifi that is the probable problem...

i'll get them to run speedtest and see what they get...

thanks

randy

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ok Randy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, here we go.

she lives an hour from Portland OR.

i don't know why she got 2 sets of numbers, but maybe you will be able to tell.

1st set looks bad, and not sure what it is from, but 2nd set is probably the reality and looks ok to me...

Ping ms is 734
Download 0.00
Upload is 0.63

Wave broadband 14.01 mbs down
2.43 mbs up

I did a retest and the only number that changed was the Upload to 0.95

City hosting is Portland, Or

what can you tell?

i mean if skype on ipad is working near about 96%, why isn't FaceTime?

also, you should know, we both always disable video, and use it only for audio.

video is automatically disabled on my end by minimizing FaceTime window, and on her end by pausing video by hitting Home button while in FaceTime.

even this doesn't help, whether video is active or not....
in Skype on ipad, my video is off, and i select voice call connection only.

what's next?

thanks

randy

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Well, your connection is good enough to do Facetime. We can reset all setting of your iPad and see if that works or not. On your iPad, goto Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings

This will reset all settings, like WiFi settings, network settings etc. But this won't delete anything from your iPad. Now, try Facetime.

If that didn't work, then our only option is restore your iPad from iTunes on your computer. This process will install a fresh iOS on your iPad.

Download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Connect the iPad to your computer and open iTunes. In iTunes, select your iPad in the top right. Under Summary tab, click "Backup" button and make sure "Backup to this Computer" is selected in there. This will backup your iPad to your PC.

After backing up, click Restore. This will erase everything from your iPad and install fresh iOS. We need to do this to isolate the problem.

After restoring, setup your iPad as new (instead of restoring from backup). Now, setup Facetime on it and try it.

If everything is working, then we can restore the backup back to your iPad.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi.

ok we'll do the reset settings thing.

but i did a fresh install of latest iOS, and all my music and apps myself on this brand new iPad only a few weeks ago.

trying to get all the stuff off the iPad into iTunes in order to do a fresh install of ios is not an option and is not needed.

the ipad owner is a luddite pc owner on vista, and i got the ipad to supposedly make chatting 'simpler'!

installing itunes by herself and transferring and reinstalling is going to be not only unnecessary, but too much to ask.

as i said, it is a brand new iPad, direct from apple store, with a fresh install of everything from my iTunes.

will get back to you after we try facetime tonight after she does her 'reset all settings' thing.

thanks

randy

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Randy, iPad Mini does support Facetime without any lags and you have very good internet connection too. I can't see any other reason causing this problem. If possible, can you please try Facetime on that iPad in different WiFi network ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well, we'll give the reset thing the go round tonight first, and i'll get back to you.

probably can't get to different wifi network, since we talk at midnight...

the traffic on the ISP servers should be a lot less at that time too.

i know with Shaw customers where i live here in BC Canada, that if lots of people are all on at same time, their connection speeds drop noticeably.

don't know if she is having same kind of ISP issues.

her provider is Wave, whatever that is...

thanks

randy

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ok Randy. Let me know if resetting doesn't work. I don't think it is the ISP as she is getting good upload and download speeds. I think it must be related to the OS of the iPad.

Also, FYI For Audio calls, you should try Fring (support video too)

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, so we did the reset thing and restart.

we even tried someone else's wifi.

Skype worked great, about 97%...

but FaceTime had garbled audio like before, with lag etc.

none of the solutions worked...

pretty sure it is not ipad OS.

new machine from apple, not retail, so pretty sure OS is fine.

my iTunes transfer was for music and games only.

unless you have something else to suggest, do i get a refund for my fee, since i thought when it worked with that one good night that your advice was valid about bandwidth, and gave you a rating that confirmed payment.

i don't think saying that a better wifi connection is any solution.

nothing i have tried seems to make a difference.

anything else to suggest?

oh, also, i replace my own facetime

com.apple.FaceTime.plist as well as the com.apple.FaceTime.bag.plist

files and restarted FaceTime.

no difference.

let me know,

thanks

randy

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry Randy. We've tried everything so far and the only thing left to try is Restore the iPad. I can't think of any other solutions. Even if this is a new iPad, it is worth a try to restore it.

Yes, you can contact JustAnswer Customer Support for refund. Contact support@justanswer.com and you can ask refund from them. Since I've no control over your account, I can't process refund for you.

Randy, I'm really sorry that I couldn't solve your problem. And please don't rate me Bad on the surveys you get from JustAnswer.

If you want I will opt out and send this question to other experts in here. So if they have any idea, they will get back to you.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi, i totally understand about not wanting a bad rating...

so i will not do that.

i appreciate you doing your best to help.

sometimes the answer is too weird...

so, sure pass the question on, but give them everything that has been tried already, so i don't have to repeat things.

too bad i have to pay for no solution though...

wish i hadn't given you a rating so quickly, but what is done is done.

thanks for your help...

randy

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Randy, Yes, I know some of the answer appears to be weird but sometimes those weird answers are the solutions. Restoring is the solution from Apple even if it is new iPad or new iOS. If you take your iPad to the Apple Store, most of the times they will restore the iOS on it.

Anyway I will now open the question to other experts in here and they can see this thread. So if they have any new idea, they will suggest you that.

Don't worry about the rating, that rating will be taken out from my account once the refund is processed. Also, you will get the refund of full amount back.

Have a great day,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hey, thanks!

a refund is definitely appreciated!

i know how important an online rating is, so i would not have given you a bad one, especially since you have been so faithful in trying to find a solution.

thanks again,

randy

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Since I don't have access to your account, please contact the customer support atXXX@XXXXXX.XXX for refund. I will also request refund now.

Have a great day