Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment

I lost my all email from my outlook for Mac. my account disappeared

I lost my all email from my outlook for Mac. my account disappeared after an update. I need to recover it.
I located where the database file. I have new mail and dont want to delet the new emails when putting back the old one.
can I get some assistance.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX will assist you with your email issues today!

All we should have to do, is just load your old identity, or the old main identity.. And possibly rebuild the identity.

So lets start with these steps, and go from there. close outlook...

Hold down the Option key on the keyboard, and then start Outlook 2011.

You should see the database utility, it should be showing your identities now.

Click your main idendity, then click rebuild, and then after it finishes, start outlook.

If your mail and files arent back in place, send me a reply and let me know how many identities you seen on the window above, and let me know which one you chose to rebuild.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green submit button to rate the answer.

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the only email there is the email from 19th july to today. i lost all email before the 19th. it is in a different identity file which was in a folder called default information in Documents. i want to rebuild that data. without overwriting the mail after the 19th.

When the problem happened. I set up a new emil account the exact same name as the previous one because I did not know where the file was.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok..

when you used the database utility.. How many idenitities did it show on screen before you rebuilt them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

only one identity on the utility screen

the other Main identity file is not located in documents. it is in another folder

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok...

Ok.. if your aware of the location of the old main identity, The one we want.. Then heres what to do.

First, start the database utility again, and create a new blank identity.. Name the identity.

Then, go into the folder containing the old identity, and we need to copy all its files, into the new identity we just created.

Then, start the database utility and rebuild the new identity.. Then start in the new identity.. That shoud do the trick. ( since we added the old files into the new identity and rebuilt it, everything should now be there.)

The page below contains a more in depth walk through..

http://www.macworld.com/article/1166434/undoing_the_damage_wrought_by_microsofts_outlook_update.html

If you get stuck or run into any issues, please let me know.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so doing this will not erase the current email from outlook?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
No, it will not.

Since your creating a new identity, the current mail in outlook will be retained in the other identity.. ( the one your currently using that has mail )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it worked partially. I had to put my old email as the default of both identities.

once the old email was loaded the new email re downloaded because it returned from my mail server.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. That sounds good..

Question, when you say it worked partially, are we missing any old or new email?

Is there anything left that we need to fix or do?

Dustin S
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I am missing the sent email from the new identity.

you think if I rebuild the new email again. it will bring that back and not over write the old email that just came back.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Maybe.. That depends.

Have you already rebuilt the new identity once , or did we not rebuild it... ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i rebuilt the newer identity once. that was the first I did and nothing happened. so we rebuilt the old identity and the set that one as default and rebuilt it and then all my old mail came back.

should I rebuild the newer email again?

and should I set it as default? or not?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Which identity has the majority of your mail now?

Which one are you using? The old or the new? Whichever one your using, lets rebuild it!!

And if the sent mail doesnt appear, is the sent mail in the other identity?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the one i am using now is the new one. because I set that up over the past few days after loosing the other one.

the sent mail is actually showing up on the older mail.

one thing as well. my search function stopped working after rebuilding and no contacts which were on the old mail.

should I proceed to rebuild the newer one and should I set that as default?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
The easiest way to proceed.. Would be to sign into the identity that has the sent messages that we want to move.

Export those messages as an OLM file.. ( also , export your contacts)

Then switch to the identity that has the majority of your old and new mail, and then import the messages, and import the contacts too..

We shouldnt have to rebuild anymore at this point.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do we go about doing that export?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Heres the export process.

1. On the File menu, click Export.
  2. Click Outlook for Mac Data File.
  3. Select an option to filter by category or item type.

To export all items in Outlook, click Items of the following types, and then select all the check boxes.

1. Click the right arrow to continue, and then follow the instructions.

The Outlook for Mac Data File uses the .olm extension.

During the process, you just need to choose the correct items to export.. Such as sent mail ( since we want the sent mail )

Then, you need to export your address book

1. Invoke the following menu command -
    "Tools -> MessageSave -> Apple Mac Export -> Export Contacts".
  2. That's it. MessageSave will export all your Contacts into a vCard file.
    Note: Even though only one .vcf file is created, all your contacts are saved in that file.

Then, you just need to use the file import command from the correct identity that has the majority of mail.

And you should have everything in one identity, which you can then set as default.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did the export but got a bit stuck after exporting the files. They are in the documents folder.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so you have the files exported as OLM files.

Now, switch to the identity that we want to import those files into

and then

1. Click File, and then click Import.
  2. Click to select Outlook Data file (.pst or .olm). Click the right arrow
    to continue.

3. Select the kind of file that you want to import, and then click the right arrow
    to continue.

On the next screen , Choose OLM files.. And then click import..

Then, for the address book, do this,... Take the vcard file we exported..

put it on the desktop background.. Then.

1. In Outlook for Mac, at the bottom of the navigation pane, click Contacts Contacts view button.
  2. Drag the vCard file from the desktop to the Contacts item list.

That should get your mail and contacts into the correct identity, then just set that identity as default, and you should be in business!

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

THANKS FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE.

IT WAS VERY HELPFUL.

I AM SURE TO USE THIS SERVICE AGAIN IF NEED BECool

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Your very welcome Ian..

If you feel I helped you resolve the issue, please click one of the rating icons below, and then click submit to rate the service I provided.. ( as of right now my score for this shows a 0 , meaning no help )

In the future if you need anything you can ask me specifically your questions at my profile link on Just Answer..

Make sure to ask the question through the box on my page, and also, Start it with For D.Sandlin Only

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-dsandlin/
Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mr. Sandlin,

the following day when I turned on my computer, the email that had downloaded after I did the recovery and was on my computer outlook. disappeared. also the new email between when I lost my email and the recovered email

I could not recover those even though I went back to the file and did a recovery again and only the new email between the original lost email and before recovery was got back in addition to the recovered email.

hope this makes sense. in short. I lost email for one day.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Ian

What may have happened.. Is that outlook switched to an older, or different identity.

Can you hold down the option key when you start outlook, and see if you have more then one identity showing?

If you do.. Please try signing in with each identity.. As one of those identities wil have all your mail.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. I did that and it worked.

I still lost my 5 messages that downloaded just before that occurred but I believe that is the best that can be done.

thanks again

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Dustin replied 12 months ago.
Your probably correct.. because each time we switch into an identity.. That identity would download any active mail..

We could export those 5 messages, and in the process before we closed the identity, it could download one or two more...

If were only missing 5, id say we can sit pat with what weve got.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok thanks