David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

Hi, Where do I set up location services on iPad? I dont

Where do I set up location services on iPad?
I don't see it in Settings
Thanks,
Holly
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

It is in different places on different iPad versions.

Which model of iPad is it? Tap Settings - General - About. What does it say for Version?

Thanks in advance,

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Version 6.1.3
It's iPad3

Holly
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Holly,

Tap Settings - Privacy - Location Services. then slide it to On.

What were you trying to set up with location services?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! Location services for google maps
I don't like to turn on location SUVs too much to conserve battery and I naively think it keeps,others fm seeing into too much of my life
Prob waay too late for that for any of us
Holly
Btw- sorry for delay. JA did not tell me at all that you had responded!
JA has really gone downhill in last year
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

No problem at all, it would be worse if you were waiting for me :)

I hope that it works OK now. I agree on conserving battery, and privacy.

You can select which Apps use Location Services so that's some reassurance I guess :)

Please feel free to ask me any follow ups or request me in future Mac questions :)

Kind regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
I'll request you again.
Holly.
Plz send smiley faces again since we can no longer say thank you along w sending smiley face.
No, JA never works very well anymore. I hv had unlimited subscr for 2+ yrs. JA definitely not as user friendly as it used to be. I've told them many times. I think they think I don't know what I'm talking about
Holly
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

There have been lots of changes and updates, I hope it is for the better.

Have you not got the chance to rate my service? If not I will raise it with a Moderator.

Sincerely,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Holly,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going, or if you needed any more help on this issue.

Feel free to contact me on this or any other Mac related questions.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If you're here, I have the same problem w iPad3. It just bleeds power. The kids played Bad Piggies for 45 minutes. It went down to completely zero battery.
9:30 am, I plugged it into the wall. Now at 6:00 pm, it's at 53%!!!
What's up with that?
There must be some apps w location finder on them. I looked briefly in settings. Nothing jumped out. But this is unacceptable.
Reason #423 why I don't like iPads
Thanks,
Holly
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

The problem with charging could be that you are using a charger from an iPad 2 or iPod. The iPad 3 has a much larger battery to power the retina display. It comes with a different power adapter but it looks the same.

If you are trying to conserver battery, turn off all location services in Settings - Privacy - Location Services.

Also turn off Bluetooth, WiFi and Cellular Data when they are not in use.

The retina display is the biggest power train, and adjusting the brightness should help a lot. Go to Settings - Brightness & Wallpaper. Auto-Brightness will raise the brightness in well lit ambient light, and lower in lower light conditions. Good for your eyes and the iPad battery. You can also set the brightness using the slider. I find that I don't need it to be that bright, and it's easier on the eyes. It saves a lot of battery.

There is also a more detailed page from Apple on conserving iPad battery here:
http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

Let me know if you have any questions on any of this :)

Kind regards,
David.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Holly,

I left something out of my reply. Here is a table identifying iPad power adapters.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4060

The 12W one will charge the iPad much faster.

I got my 12W adapter mixed up with a friend who moved back to the US, so I know all about the slower charge unfortunately :)

I hope this helps, and don't hesitate to ask me any further questions.

Kind regards,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi David,
It turns out I had a lot of apps w location services on. I turned it off in those and battery power is better
I turned it off on individual apps but left it on at the top, where it says "location services." Should I turn that off also? If I do, will iPad ask me if I want location services on when it's appropriate ?
Thanks,
Holly
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Holly,

I'm glad to hear that you have noticed a difference, that means it must definitely be using less battery.

If you turn off Location Services overall, it will ask you to turn it on if you go to use a location based feature in an App or install a new App with location features.

If you leave it on, and turn off all Apps individually, it will ask you to turn it on when using location services from an App that has it turned off, and when a new App with location service is installed it will be on for that App.

Only some Apps will use location services in the background. Some GPS Apps that save or log data.. Those will put a big strain on the battery. Most other Apps will only use location services when they are open.

There are a lot of Apps that use location services, so to be sure of conserving battery I think it's best to turn it off overall, and turn it on as you need it. The other way, of leaving it on but turning off individual Apps, requires more management and care. If you turn it off overall you will get asked whenever it is needed, so it's not that much of a problem to just go to settings and turn it on.

I hope this helps. If I missed anything or any point in your question, please get back to me and let me know.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi David,
Thank you for the clear explanation. I'll turn off Location Services overall then.
I'm good for now, so please send smiley faces ( I have unlimited subscription)
Best,
Holly
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Holly,

That's good, glad to hear.

Let me know if I can be of help in future.

Best regards,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi David,

A couple days ago, I wrote you a question in the box under your picture.

Did you receive it? I don't normally like to ask questions there because expert must not be able to see them.

If you can't see question, I'll write it here at end of this conversation thread.

Holly

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Holly,

No unfortunately I didn't see the question. I'm not sure why not, but if I am offline it will timeout after about 30 minutes and go to the main question pool.

Please let me know the question, I'm online and ready to help.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I remember you were offline at the time.

My question was about maximizing GB space on my iPhone5- with photo storage.

What is the difference between camera roll and photo stream?

I cleaned out photo stream- only has 82 pix on it.

Camera roll has c. 500! If I delete a lot fm camera roll, will that give me more space on the phone?

I don't want them all moved to laptop - I want some available on phone.

Thanks,

Holly

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Holly,

Camera Roll are photos you have taken with the camera on the iPhone. Photo Stream is the name for photos that are synced between all devices using iCloud.

If you delete pictures from the camera roll, and haven't synced them to the laptop or Photo Stream, you will lose them forever.

Here is the features page from Apple, all about Photo Stream:
http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/photo-stream.html

Here is the FAQ from Apple:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4486

Both links have very good information on Photo Stream, and what it does.

You would like to save on space, and to keep some photos on your iPhone, but not all of them. Photo Stream is a way of sharing photos between devices, but it's not a way of storing them. As it shows in the features, Photo Stream will store 1,000 photos each for up to 30 days.

Therefore to maintain a full library of all the photos you want to keep, you should store them on your laptop. Photos you take on your iPhone go to your camera roll, and they don't get removed after 30 days, and the only limit is the space on your iPhone. You should transfer those to your computer any time you want to remove some and free up some space.

Photo Stream gives you access to recent photos, but of you want permanent collections available online you can create a shared photo stream. Those are accessible to anyone you choose to allow, not just your devices, and are only removed if you remove them manually.

This probably leaves you with a lot of questions, please let me know how I can help. You can keep some photos on your phone permanently in the Photos App, but you should transfer all from your Camera Roll to your laptop as the main storage for all of your photos.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the answer. JA did not let me know at all that your answer was here. I scrolled thru a few pages of my questions to see if you had answered.

Whew- thank you for the information. Good thing I didn't start deleting from the camera roll since they'd be gone forever!

The photos that I have stored on my laptop are somewhat organized-- under events and I put dates on them as best I could.

Sooo- if I now move my camera roll from my phone to my laptop, where are those photos going to go? Will they go at the end of my general photo library? Will they get all mixed in among the other photos randomly? (That would be awful --- an organizational disaster!) They won't be in events, right- since I haven't put them into events.

FYI - I haven't upgraded to Mountain Lion so I will need to manually connect my phone to my laptop.

Thank you again and I'll check back manually since JA probably won't tell me when you've answered.

Best,

Holly

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

I was travelling yesterday and did not have access to JA, sorry for the delay.

Transferring what's in your camera roll to your laptop works in the same way connecting a camera does, not through iTunes as a lot of people expect. Whichever way you are most comfortable with transferring from a camera is best. If you use Image Capture then you can use that, but using iPhoto is better because it transfers and the pictures will be put with the rest in iPhoto.

Connect up your iPhone and open iPhoto. Your iPhoto will appear as a connected device in iPhoto's sidebar. Click on the iPhone and you can browse thumbnails, and import all or selected photos. Transferred photos will be in your iPhoto library, where you can organise them into events, sync some or all back to the Photos App on the iPhone etc. By default they will be organised into an event, but you can merge that vent with another, or give it a new name, but they won't all be mixed in randomly with the rest of your iPhoto library.

I hope I haven't missed anything obvious. If you have any questions please get back to me and I'll answer them for you.

Best regards,
David.

David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified