John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

my mac will not boot

my mac will not boot
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

What Mac model do you have? Do you know which version of OS X is installed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a mac notebook and have no idea of which version of OS X is installed...just to warn you I have no idea what I am doing....

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, Allison.

That's fine. We will take it slow. Can you tell me when you purchased the MacBook?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this spring

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Great.

Power off the MacBook by holding down the power button until it shuts off.

Restart it and immediately press and hold the OPTION key on the keyboard and a graphical menu showing the bootable volumes should appear shortly. You may then release the Option key.

Select the “Recovery HD" option in the menu.

Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT CHOOSE TO INSTALL)

Choose Disk Utility from the available options.

In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar (usually "Macintosh HD").

Then, Click "Repair Disk"

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK.

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Then, restart your Mac and it should boot back into your normal Desktop.

If it does not, let me know.

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not working...I do not have the admin info anymore and need to reset it...

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Are you having trouble booting or merely trouble signing in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did the command s thing to try and set up a new admin and am stuck at the root #

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, since your MacBook is so new there is an easier method to reset the password.

Type 'reboot' at the # XXXXX and press Return/Enter.

Press and hold the “Option” key as soon as you hear the startup chime.

When the boot menu appears, release the Option key and and select the “Recovery HD” disk in the boot menu.

Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear

Click on the “Utilities” option in the menubar and select “Terminal”

Type the following at the prompt:

resetpassword

and press Return on the keyboard.

Confirm the user account and then the password XXXXX

Restart your Mac and, hopefully, login.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it has given me the option to reset hold folder persmissions and I said yes so now it is "running"

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, has the password XXXXX completed sucessfully now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, it said that I do not have permission to edit this disk

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
To clarify, you clicked on the “Utilities” option in the menu bar at the top of the screen and chose Terminal, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did find out that I have Mac OS X, 10.7.4

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, good then these procedures should work for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
and after issuing the command for 'resetpassword' you were given the permissions error?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no it was when I typed in the new password XXXXX told me that I was not given permission

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Did you click "Save" after entering the password XXXXX "Reset"? To change the password, type it in both places, and a hint, then click the Save button. There is a Reset Home Folder Permissions option below that but is uneeded in most cases.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes and it told me i did not have permission

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Is the Macintosh HD volume chosen at the top of that window and name of your account selected under "Select the user account"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes but this was formally a school computer and so I have a lot of options, however, when I choose the one that fits this computer it still will not let me...

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Do you know if the account you are trying to reset was the original user account created on the Macbook?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Did you not receive my last question or perhaps I did not receive a reply? I asked " Do you know if the account you are trying to reset was the original user account created on the Macbook?"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry, no I do not know that

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, do you know if FileVault (disc encryption) was being used on this MacBook? It sounds like that may be the case - and if the password XXXXX XXXXX for FileVault encrypted accounts/volumes then it can't be reset and you may receive the error in question.

We can try to manually create a user as you first attempted but a re-install of OS X may be required if it does not work.

1. Restart your Mac

2. Hold the COMMAND (Apple) key and S key together when you hear the chime.

3. You will see white text on a black background and eventually get a text prompt (root #). Enter these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting Return/Enter after each line):

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

4. Once the Mac restarts, you should be given the choice to create a brand new user.

If so,

5a. Once the user has been created, you may use it to modify the password XXXXX your original account(s) by going into System Preferences > Accounts.

5b. ...or delete all other accounts and use this new account as you primary user.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did all of that and restarted the computer but it will not restart,

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, if you completed that task successfully but it is not offering up the option to create a new user then the final option is to re-install OS X. Since there are issues with permissions on prior accounts, you should try to erase the hard drive volume first.

Select “Disk Utility,” and then click Continue.

Select your startup disk from the list on the left (usually Macintosh HD), and then click the Erase tab.

From the Format pop-up menu, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled), type a name for your disk (usually Macintosh HD), and then click Erase.

After the disk has been erased, choose Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility.

If you’re not connected to the Internet, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu in the right corner of the menu bar (in the top-right corner of the screen).

Select Reinstall Mac OS X, click Continue, and then follow the instructions.

Once the re-install is complete, you will be asked to create a new user.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got as far as agreeing to install the software and it asks me to select the disk where I want to install Mac Os X.

I cannot select a choice, they are both grayed out and they say the following:

Recover HD is locked

Mackintosh HDL This disk is not formatted as MAC ac OS Extended (journaled). Use disk utility enable journaling or reformat the disk.

next steps?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
If you're getting the message that "This disk is not formatted as MAC OS Extended (journaled)" when attempting to install to "Macintosh HD" then it's possible you may have skipped a step when erasing the volume.

Quit the Installer and go back to Disk Utility.

Select Macintosh HD at the left and then click the Erase tab.

From the Format pop-up menu, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled),

type a name for your disk (usually Macintosh HD),

and then click Erase.

Try re-installing once more.

Let me know if you still have an issue after that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is reinstalling and says it will be about an hour, so am I good?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Awesome. Yes, it sounds like you will be good to go.

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry