Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

Hey thanks for being there. On my 13" MBP (2.26GHz Core2 Duo)

Hey thanks for being there. On my 13" MBP (2.26GHz Core2 Duo) with 10.8.4, I have been tap-to-clicking happily. Today I turned that off and remembered why I had turned it on. Without it only the lower LEFT part of the trackpad responds to the physical click properly. I click the trackpad there and things are selected properly. If I click the trackpad in the center (where one usually does it) or on the right, nothing. I hope I don't have to take it back to Apple repair. It's out of warranty. Ideas?
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

What your describing is a design flaw in the way the touch pad actuates when its pushed to click.

Your guess and assumption is right.. Your choices are, either return it to apple, and pay to have them repair it.

Or, we can order a replacement part online , save a little money and if your familiar with computer maintaince and repair, install it your self.

As far as software, theres no software routines we can do, that are going to change the physical function of the sensor under the mousepad that senses when its pushed to click.

If you have further questions, or if you want me to find and source the replacement parts...

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Hello Bob, Thanks for the rating.

Let me know if youd like me to have a look and try to source some replacement parts, or if theres anything else I can do to assist you further with this issue.

Dustin S.

In the future if you need anything you can ask me specifically your questions at my profile link on Just Answer..

Make sure to ask the question through the box on my page, and also, Start it with For D.Sandlin Only
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Dustin. I'm going to go to the Apple store. I'm good with repair but I don't want to get into this one.

Understood Bob.. A small tidbit of advice, before you drop the mac off for the repair, ask them if they would be wiping the hard drive.. ( as sometimes, they will reinstall the OS as part of a repair like that )

That would be good to know, that way you can make plans ahead of time to save your important pictures, documents, and files before dropping it off.. That may not have to wipe the hard drive, but I wouldnt want you to be caught unawares if they did.

Dustin S.