Ernest Agyare
Ernest Agyare, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  5 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN MAC AND A MAC USER
74848643

Whenever i try to start my Macbook Pro i here the startup noise

Whenever i try to start my Macbook Pro i here the startup noise and the fans spinning, but the screen stays black until the computer eventually reboots.
I have tried practically everything from the SMC reset to the pram reset and nothings has resolved it.

Please help.

Also, I downloaded the latest update to my mac book and have for about half a year now suffered from my screen going black and my computer restarting, but this is the first time it has completely refused to start up at all.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ernest Agyare replied 1 year ago.

ErnestAgyare :

hello my name isXXXXX and I am a Mac expert for over 5 years.....It will be my pleasure to help you diagnose this

ErnestAgyare :

i see you have already done a few key steps which rules out a few things...this issue is pointing to a corrupted HD and we can do a few troubleshoot step to verify that....this should tell you exactly what the issue is and save you some frustration

ErnestAgyare :

i have a few questions

ErnestAgyare :

have you tried booting from the utility cd

Customer: I'm currently on holiday so that has not been possible.
ErnestAgyare :

are you in front of the laptop now?

Customer: Yes
ErnestAgyare :

would you like for me to doing a few troubleshoot to give you the cause of your issue...i am aware you are on vacation

Customer: Yes please I'd like this problem solved without having to send it in to the repair shop
ErnestAgyare :

I cannot promise that, i can however get to the root of the issue as a mac expert and tell you what you need to do to fix it exactly ....

ErnestAgyare :

the first thing we will try to do is boot it up in safe mode, have you tried this?

Customer: Unless I've done it the wrong way... Which is quite possible. Then yes I have but let's try it again anyway, tell me what to do please
ErnestAgyare :

Hold down the Option key while restarting or booting the Mac, and you can choose which operating system you want to use.

ErnestAgyare :

which is safe mode

Customer: The screen simply stays black and then it restarts.
ErnestAgyare :

when you choose safe mode? are you sure that is the behavior because that is telling me something

Customer: I don't get to choose anything nothing appears on the screen at all.
ErnestAgyare :

oh goodness...one more thing

ErnestAgyare :

restart and hold down c when booting up

ErnestAgyare :

tell me what happenes

Customer: Okay
Customer: Same result the light on the right side of the computer turns on I hear the usual startup noise and I can hear the fans turning but nothing appears on the screen.
ErnestAgyare :

ok ...this is what is going on...you simply have a corrupted HD....i came with this conclusion because you cannot get to safe mode which bypasses an other issues that is not HD related...Also because you are not able to execute the C command which boots up form you partition....

ErnestAgyare :

Solution: first try to insert the utility cd which came with the laptop and hold c while booting up....i want you to try this even though it might not work....this is to rule that option out.....if that doesnt work you will need a new HD

Customer: Hard drive? So what part would I have to replace to fix it?
ErnestAgyare :

a new hard drive....i would not try to repair an apple hard drive..i will just purchase a new one from online such as ebay

Customer: Oh then I'm going to need both that and a logic board... Always good
Customer: So will this lose me all my files and such?
ErnestAgyare :

i understand this is frustrating but that solution will ABSOLUTELY get you back in business and running ....

ErnestAgyare :

did you ever use your time machine or icloud to do any back ups

Customer: No I didn't
ErnestAgyare :

if not please visit an apple store to see if they can hook a slave kit up to transfer it

ErnestAgyare :

i know how to transfer it but i would need you to log in which we are having an issue with

Customer: Wait so all my files are gone because my hard drive is where everything is saved would that be correct ?
ErnestAgyare :

not completely gone...apple can savage it for you...if its not corrupted to bad.....please dont panic...it can be restore ONLY if its not damaged too bad

ErnestAgyare :

i recommend for the future to set up your time machine so it does automatic back up from time to time ...preventing this future issue

Customer: I have such good luck with computers it seems this is the 3rd time my hard drive dies. Do you by any chance know how much a hard drive and a logic board would cost if I bought both?
ErnestAgyare :

not of the top of my head....i only have a range of prices..depending on the gb....the best prices will be at microcenter.com and ebay

ErnestAgyare :

its all depending of the specs your a looking for

Customer: Okay well thanks for your help I guess. Ill just take it to the store and hope for the best I think.
ErnestAgyare :

is there anything else i may assist you with....also i want to thank you in advance for remembering to rate me as that is how i get credit for my assistance

Customer: No since you can't fix it for me there's nothing else you can help me with but thanks for your time.
ErnestAgyare :

no problem ....i apologize we are unable to fix a bad hard drive

ErnestAgyare :

do you really feel i provided you poor service?

ErnestAgyare :

i know this is a frustrating time for you and understandably so, but i diagnosed your issue and gave you a solution to fix...i think that warrants an ok service at the least

ErnestAgyare :

they is no possible way for me to be able to fix your hd without being there ...i think we both would agree ....

Customer: I'm not sure exactly how I'm supposed to rate since it didn't really help me. All it did was reassuring me that I needed to go to the store which I would have done regardless so in my head this was just me throwing money at something while gaining nothing from it and yea I'm a bit mad but guess I shouldn't take that out on you.
Customer: Overall looking at where you're coming from with having only what I can tell you as information I guess your service wasn't bad. So maybe just frustrated and mad.
ErnestAgyare :

I understand but you have to understand my position as an expert...my job is to fix the issue...but some issues cant be fixed over the internet and some issues are just beyond troubleshooting...such as your issue...its a HD drive,....so if you were in my shoes would you like a negative rating?

ErnestAgyare :

its just a reflection of my service...i take pride on giving great service and not walking away with poor service....

Customer: I guess I'm being a bit unfair but I can't really take it back now can I?
ErnestAgyare :

you can rate again and the last rating will be recorded

ErnestAgyare :

you can choose ok service or good if you like

ErnestAgyare :

please by no means im i trying to force you...please do what you think is fair...

Customer: Ill give you good service rating since looking back at the chat you were both knowledgeable and In a way helpful but I still feel I can't give you an excellent service as it didn't really help me even if it made sure I knew the problem.
ErnestAgyare :

no problem i am ok with a good service

Customer: Don't worry I'm generally fair but I guess we can all fall to our anger. I apologise for taking my frustration out on you.
ErnestAgyare :

its understandable computers can drive us nuts

Customer: Indeed that is what I'm beginning to learn oh well have a good day and good luck with your next client
ErnestAgyare :

you too sir

Experience: 5 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN MAC AND A MAC USER