Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

My Macbook (10.6.8) will not update any of the software on

My Macbook (10.6.8) will not update any of the software on it. I've tried to update my itunes, and many other applications, but it won't work. The software update appears and lists the applications that need updating, and I agree to download and restart. But when it restarts it doesn't ever really turn off. It doesn't go to the grey screen or anything. Is this something I can fix at home? I really don't want to pay money.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you, I will need additional information. When you mentioned it does not restart after you downloaded an update, do you receive an error message asking to close down open applications?

Customer:

No. It starts to shut down. The desktop goes away and the default screen (light show/nebula sort of thing) shows up. That usually happens right before it shuts down, but it doesn't get that far. It just stays in that halfway point for awhile and then the login screen appears.

Appleologist :

Thanks for clarifying. What happens when you just download one update instead of all of them at the same time? Are you currently chatting from that computer?

Customer:

I'm currently chatting from the computer. I haven't done that yet. I'll try that now.

Appleologist :

Ok, Bookmark our chat first so you can get back to me

Appleologist :

I hope you are able to find your way back

Customer:

so I tried just updating Itunes, and that seemed to work because it actually looked like it was installing something, but then the software update looked for more stuff to update and the Itunes row in it had a green check next to it, but when I clicked it, the text on the bottom of the window said Itunes: error. I have to go now, but I will be back later.

Appleologist :

Ok, continue to update each update at a time and make sure all of your apps are closed. Give me an update when you get a chance