Ernest Agyare
Ernest Agyare, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  5 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN MAC AND A MAC USER

I cant open Entourage; says database corrupted; rebuild.

Customer Question

I can't open Entourage; says database corrupted; rebuild.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ernest Agyare replied 8 months ago.

ErnestAgyare :

hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be happy to assist you

Customer :

So what should I do?

ErnestAgyare :

i have to answer but from past experience alot of customer did want to accept it and ended up spending days and still no answer...they came back and said my answer was right...with that said ....can i give you my honest diagnosis without getting a negative feedback....

Customer :

I expect nothing less than an honest diagnosis.

ErnestAgyare :

This problem can occur when the Entourage database file has become damaged or corrupted.

ErnestAgyare :

there only two solutions ....

ErnestAgyare :

you can repair it by taking these steps

ErnestAgyare :

To resolve this problem, follow the steps in the article.

You may find it easier to follow the steps if you print this article first.

Step 1: Rebuild the Entourage database and create a new identity

To rebuild the Entourage database or to create a new identity, follow steps 1 through 4 in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

268322 How to rebuild your identity database in Entourage 2008 for Mac and Entourage for Mac 2004 to resolve most problems

If the issue continues to occur, go to the next step.

Step 2: Create a new Microsoft User Data folder

The first time that you open Entourage, a new "Microsoft User Data" folder is created in the Documents folder that is provided by the Mac operating system. The Microsoft User Data folder contains an Office 2008 Identities folder that stores the Entourage database for each identity.

To create a new Microsoft User Data folder, follow these steps:

1. Exit all Office applications. (This includes Entourage and Office Reminders.)

2. Locate and move the following Microsoft user data folder to your desktop, to an external hard disk, or to a network location:
    HD/Users/USER_NAME/Documents

3. Start Entourage. A new Microsoft user data folder is automatically created. Additionally, a new IDENTITY_NAME folder is created in the following location:
    HD/Users/USER_NAME/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2008 Identities

4. Exit Entourage.

5. Locate the following folder, and then rename the database file with a new name:
    HD/Users/USER_NAME/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2008 Identities/IDENTITY_NAME

6. Copy the database file from the IDENTITY_NAME folder that is contained in the Microsoft User Data folder that you copied in step 2 to the IDENTITY_NAME folder that was automatically created in step 3.

Start Entourage and see whether the problem is resolved. If the problem is not resolved, go to the next step.

Step 3: Repair disk permissions

To repair disk permissions, follow these steps:

1. On the Finder menu, click Go and then select Home.

2. Open the Applications folder.

3. Open the Utilities folder.

4. In the left column of the Disk Utility window, select your Macintosh HD.

5. Click the First Aid tab.

6. Click Repair Disk Permissions.

7. After the repair process is complete, restart the computer.

ErnestAgyare :

the second solution is reinstalling entourage or upgrading it

Customer :

I of course have tried the Microsoft article, as I mentioned. If that is the only option, then thanks, XXXXX XXXXX on.

ErnestAgyare :

this is not fair to me i stated prior that please dont rate me if this is not the information you want

ErnestAgyare :

i understand your frustration however i am interested in solving you issue...any other avenue will waste you time and cause more frustration

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 8 months ago.

Hello Sir. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

What happened when you tried rebuilding entourage database ? Did you get any errors ?

Please boot your mac in safe mode (click here to see how). Then try to launch entourage. If it not starts, try to rebuild the database again while you are in safe mode.

Let me know the result.

Regards
Jins

Hello have you been Able to repair entourage