David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

Hi there. Ive been trying to download the latest version

Customer Question

Hi there. I've been trying to download the latest version of iTunes but kept getting messages that the download was interrupted. After consulting various support sites I uninstalled iTunes and Quicktime and then tried downloading again from Apple but am having similar problems. If I try to download Quicktime I get the same message saying the download has been interrupted. If I try to download iTunes I get a message saying that itunes64setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application. I have tried on both Chrome and IE 10. I have cleared the caches in both and run a registry scan and fix. I am now out of ideas.
Can anyone help please?
Christian
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions.

How does your computer connect to the Internet? Who is the ISP, what type of router is it, and what type of connection does your computer make?

Do you have any anti virus software installed?

Do you have any speed boost software, or any Internet software installed?

Do you have a second computer on the same network?

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi David

I connect via a wireless router supplied by BT, my ISP is BT, I have Norton antivirus, no speed boost software. Not sure what you mean by Internet software.

Other devices connect to the router but are not part of a network

Christian

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Christian,

Other Internet software can be some form of speed booster, that claims to increase speed but more often causes issues.

You seem to have ruled out all cause with the computer and operating system, so I think it is more likely to be a network issue.

Can you connect directly to the BT modem using an Ethernet cable, and try the download again?

If the same, please disable all anti virus and security software and try the download again.

Let me know if any new messages appear, and what the results of trying a direct wired connection are.

Sincerely,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi David

direct connection works, thanks. Therefore, like you said, probably a wireless problem. Do you know how I would tell whether it's the router or the laptop?

thanks

Christian

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Christian,

It's a tricky one to find that out. There is a setting called MTU that can be different on the wireless and wired. If that is the issue then it's not the router.

The fastest and easiest way by far to find out if there is a problem with the router or laptop, is to connect wirelessly to the router using a different compeer, and try the download.

It may also be a problem setting on the router, and therefore the same would be happening on a second computer.

Another possibility is that the problem only exists with downloading from Apple, and not from other sources.

If you have no other computer to test, I suggest downloading something like VLC wirelessly, to check what happens.

http://www.vlc.org

If that works, then we would be better off not troubleshooting any more, as we could spend a long time at it and not really figure out what the problem is. A case of if it's not broken don't fix it.

MTU setting is a thing that also factors in what settings the ISP (BT in this case) uses, and we would need to try different values.

If it is the computer, and not the router, the download will work fine on another computer. Then there is the chance it is some software on the computer.

So as you can see there is no straightforward way of knowing what to do next, and you need to test things out.

If you have no other computer right now to test the Apple download, test the VLC download with your current computer. Let me know what happens and I can advise further.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

the router works fine with another laptop, so I guess it's the wireless on the PC that's playing up..

thanks for your help

Christian

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Christian,

So using another laptop you had no issue downloading iTunes?

Did you try downloading VLC wirelessly on the laptop that did have an issue with downloading iTunes?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

yes, just tried downloading VLC wirelessly and it get's interrupted and won't resume. If I plug in the LAN cable it downloads OK.

BTW - I'm finding this advice very helpful but haven't used this service before - can you confirm that there is still only 1 charge of £28 for your service?

thanks

Christian

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Christian,

Yes, it's still on the same topic, so there's no extra charge. It's only if you opened a new question on a different topic that you would set a new price.

So we have determined that the problem is not the ISP or the router, but it is isolated to the one laptop.

You mentioned having Anti Virus software, and this could be the cause. have you tried disabling the software and try another download?

If you haven't got Skype, you could use that to test this. Let me know what happens.

Kind regards,
David.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Christian,

I'm just letting you know that I am heading out for a couple of hours. If you reply meantime, I will not be able to reply until I get back. This should only be a couple of hours. The weather here is so nice that I'm going to the seaside for a swim :)

Talk to you later.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

the antivirus software is disabled (Norton and McAfee family protection) but the interruption to the download still happens.

Enjoy the beach!

Cheers

Christian

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Thanks! The water was like crystal, and warm! If only Ireland could guarantee this weather for 4 months of the year we would be the tourist destination of the world!

I'd like to be able to fix this properly, so that you can download anything you like in future. There is not much to go on from what happens. Can you try downloading FireFox, using a wired connection. Restart and connect wirelessly, and then try Skype, or another download.

Here's the link to FireFox to get started:

If there is an error message, please make note of what it says exactly. If there is an error code that too. Try to see if there is anything unusual when it fails, like another application briefly loading. Also please describe what stage the interruption happens at.

Thank you in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

sorry I was out by the time I got your last question.

I have downloaded Firefox whilst wired to the router - no problems

then restarted and unplugged cable to router

then opened up Firefox and went to download Skype - in general connection slower and have had to try download a couple of times - it stopped while running setup.exe then told me download site wasn't available and is now showing SkypeSetupFull.exe as "starting" in the download window but not doing anything.

when I then double click on the skypefullsetup.exe it tells me that the "program might not have installed correctly"

I think it is the wireless connection. Internet performance in general much better when the router is plugged in.

Christian

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Christian,

That's a strong possibility, especially the way you describe the performance.

Wireless should not be too much slower than wired, if it is it's probably a problem. We should troubleshoot the wireless connection strength.

How close do you have the laptop to the router?

Where is the router positioned? In a drawer, behind something, on a metal shelf? Is there anything between the router and the laptop?

Interference can cause slowness and bad connection strength, and sources of interference can be many. Is the router near any other wireless devices or any electronics at all?

Connect with cable to the router and open www.speedtest.net and test, then do the same test wirelessly, and let me know what results you get.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi David

the router is in an open position in the same room as the laptop. At the moment they are right next to each other so I can connect with the LAN cable. The router is next to the home phone and a couple of feet away from a WD Hard disk.

I'm running speed test now but apparently need to re-install Flash before I do..

doing this now

Christian

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

In that case it doesn't sound like a problem with signal strength or interference.

Are you in a built up area? Are there lots of other wireless networks in your area?

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no - only about 3 other wireless networks in range

I uninstalled Flash - OK

then try and install latest but it stops with an error - an error has occurred running scripts on this page. I've retried and it's now installing...

this is driving me up the wall - do you ever give up and say "sorry but your laptop is just knackered"?

I've run speedtest

connected by wire

ping=27ms

download speed= 2.8mbs

upload speed=0.8mbs

wireless

ping=35ms

download speed=0.35

upload speed=0.79

Cheers

Christian

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Christian,

It's so often that a seemingly simple issue becomes a long drawn out troubleshooting scenario, so believe me I'm used to it. You do need good patience with this stuff, it helps to know that there is always an end in sight :)

The download speed is too low, and I think it's whats causing the interruptions in downloads over wireless.

You mentioned having access to another laptop. Can you run the wireless speed test on that, if it's still available to you?

This will give a clear indication of what direction to take, instead of just marching on with steps not knowing if it's the router or the laptop.

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK

wireless download speed on the other laptop is much better - 2.86mbs

so seems to be laptop?

Christian

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.

Yes it does indeed, slowly getting to the root of the problem.

Is the problem laptop a much older model? Older model laptops will have older slower wireless cards.

The problem might also be out of date drivers or software. Please check the following link to see if your laptop needs updates. Connect by wire before loading this page:
windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

I've updated windows and re-run the speed test over wireless. The download speed is now the same as the plugged in speed at 2.7mbs.

it seems better. I'll have a go at some other downloads.

Cheers

Christian

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Christopher,

Sorry I had to go out for a while. That's great, sounds like we could have nailed it.

let me know if there are still problems with downloads,

Sincerely,
David.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI David

thanks for your help on this, very useful.

However I've just noticed that I've been charged twice for the service, i.e. 2 payments of £28 have been charged to my card. Can you tell me who I should contact for a refund?

Many thanks

Christian

Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hi Christian,

That's odd, I didn't see two questions. I will send this to category moderators, please bear with me and I will get back to you.

Sincerely,
David.