Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My computer keeps crashing - either it freezes or I get a black

Customer Question

My computer keeps crashing - either it freezes or I get a black screen and a message to "restart" - this time when I tried to open Chrome, it said that the preferences on Chrome were corrupted and that they could not retrieve them - and then I opened it! I'm confused w/this! how do I fix it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.6.8

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not. First we can reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM

1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Then run Disk Utility in Single User Mode. Follow the steps below;

Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Eugenai, to fix the chrome issue, we can reset the preferences of your Chrome. Close Chrome, then goto Macintosh HD > Users > your username > Library > Preferences folder and delete all files related to Chrome like com.apple.chrome.plist, com.google.chrome.plist etc

That should fix the Chrome issue. Let me know if that didn't work.
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ashik - I'm still on the first part of your answer - so i restarted my mac , holding the keys for 3 chimes and went to disc utility - there was no single or other User Mode! plus when I opened the disc utility, 3 choices came up - 320.07 GB WDC WD3200BEVT-ODAORTO Media and under that [like it was nested] was the Mac HD icon and then a disc symbol w/MATSHIT DVD-R UJ-857

Whaaaat??? which do I choose? and the only CHOICES ARE

VERIFY DISK PERMISSIONS VERIFY DISK

REPAIR DISK PERMISSIONS REPAIR DISK

Do I run Verify Disk?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay Eugenai. Lost internet connection here. Select your Mac HD (i.e 320.07 GB WDC WD3200BEVT-ODAORTO). Then click Verify Disk and then Repair Disk. Then click Repair Permission. Let me know how it goes...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I clicked on the Mac HD icon and it came back as HD ok on both things - after the control - S, too! Shall I go back and clic on the 320.07 GB and run Verify Disk?

Plus, I did the Chrome thing and when I got to library, there was no com.apple,chrome.plist!!! and no com.google either! arggg!

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
We can start from scratch. First, you have to press and hold down Command + S not Control + S

Turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command(Apple) + S keys on your keyboard. This will boot into a black screen with white letters. Let me know..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry, I did hold down the Command [apple] key + S & got to the screen w/white letters... then typed in the

/sbin/fsck -fy and hit return - that's when it said that Mac HD was ok!

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Type reboot and press return and your Mac will restart. Then goto Macintosh HD/Users/ your username/Library/Application Support/Google and trash the Chrome folder.

Remember, this will delete all bookmarks and reset chrome to default settings. Let me know..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Let you know what? I did what you said - what should I look for? I only got that corrupt preferences once - and, would that corrupt preference file show up on the Verify Disk thingy?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Let me know the results. When you type reboot and hit return, didn't you Mac restart to desktop ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no... had to press the start button...

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

We've already repaired your HD. Turn off your Mac completely and turn it back on. Don't press any keys. Does it boot directly into desktop now ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes... and, it still freezes - oy! Not as often, and it freezes... and, I just won an ebay auction for a 27" iMac [2011] - hope it works better!

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Eugenai, do you have the Mac OS X discs handy ? If so, we can reinstall your Mac OS X with it and that should fix the problem unless it is hardware related.