John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

I have an Imac OSX (10.4.1) and Safari browser 3.1.1. Can

Customer Question

I have an Imac OSX (10.4.1) and Safari browser 3.1.1. Can I upgrade my OS to Mountain Lion? O klanything better? Can I upgrade Safari so that my Outlook email program works properly? Safari 5.1.7?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Can you tell me the serial number for your iMac?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Then, repeatedly click on the word "Version" until it says "Serial Number" and please provide that number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Serial # XXXXX

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Patricia!

Your iMac, sadly, does not support Mountain Lion as the hardware it uses is slightly too old. However, the good news is that you can upgrade to a release of OS X that is two versions ahead of yours (OS X 10.6.x) and this would allow you to run a much more modern version of Safari.

Going from OS X 10.4.x to OS X 10.6.x is a paid upgrade.

For a limited time, it may be available via the Apple Online store in the US for $19.99:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

It is no longer officially sold in most stores but you can also get it via telephone.

Call 1-800-MY-APPLE (1-800-692-7753) and tell them you want the Snow Leopard upgrade which they can send on CD for around $20 USD shipped.

Once you have the disc, the upgrade process is fairly simple. After the install, keep running System Preferences > Software Update until no more updates are offered.

You should then be left with OS X 10.6.8 and Safari 5.1.9. OS X 10.6.8 will also allow the use of other web browsers, such as Firefox that may be newer, as well.

Until you have a chance to upgrade, there is another option for use as a web browser, too. There is a custom build of FireFox for OS X 10.4 running on Intel based Macs such as yours. It is entirely unsupported and may not work for you but it may be worth a try on a purely temporary basis.

http://code.google.com/p/tenfourfox/wiki/IntelBuild

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Howdy!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need further assistance on this or other issues, please let me know.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi John,

I've ordered the Snow Leopard you suggested, and am waiting for delivery! Hopefully this will solve all my problems. I will reply to you as to my success as soon as I've installed the upgrade and followed your directions! Thank you so much for your help - it was very thorough and knowledgeable!

Pat Goodman

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update, Patricia!

Hopefully, everything will go smoothly for you. If you run into any issues, don't hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

John, My Snow Leopard paid upgrade finally arrived today, but it will not install!

Expert:  John T. F. replied 12 months ago.
Hi Patricia!

What error do you get when trying to install?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I think the message was "disk cannot be changed". Should I try installing again so that I can note exactly what the message is??

Yes, please that would be great. There are a couple ways you can start the install, please try the following;

Insert the OS X install CD.

Restart the computer and as soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the "C" key to boot from the disc. You can release the "C" when you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

Choose your language and click to continue.

You shouldt hen be sitting at the Introductory Installer screen ready to install.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Okay, I am trying that now.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Okay, I tried restarting from the disk as you suggested. The message that eventually comes up is: "The contents of this disk can't be changed. Mac OSX couldn't be installed on this disk." The very first time I tried the installation, I forgot to mention, it told me to run the "repair disk" option, which I did. Also, this morning when I restarted I got an ominous whistle sound.

When you ran Repair Disk, did it find errors or say the drive was ok?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Hmmm. I'm trying to remember. I think it found some errors.

Is the computer currently bootable and running "OK"?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Yes, although I haven't tried to open any files. I'll do that now.

Okay, I opened a few files, and everything seems to be working okay.

Okay, do you have a back up of your computer or a way to back up personal files?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

No, my carbonite has ended. I was going to renew it, but haven't yet. Should I do that? I am a greeting card designer, so have LOADS of designs on my computer!

Yes, if that's the only way you have to back up data then I would highly recommend it at this point so you don't risk losing anything, before moving forward.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Okay, I'll do that and get right back to you. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know how to back up!

Considering what you do, it may make snese in the future to get an external hard drive. Your Mac can back up to it in the background every hour, keeping your data safe and you won't have to fuss with it unless tragedy strikes.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I'm in the midst of reinstalling my Carbonite backup with their techies. It hadn't run out, it just needed to be reinstalled. And yes, I will definitely get an external hard drive!

Thanks for the update, I should be here most of the afternoon and evening today, bar dinner breaks, etc.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Hi John,

Well now I have another problem. The reason my Carbonite install failed was because I need to upgrade my system! Which, of course, you are helping me do. Carbonite is unable to back up my system so that we can continue. Actually, I DO have an external hard drive, and the metal box to put it in, but don't know how to connect it all up!

Ok, it sounds like you really do need to get your Mac upgraded. ;-)

Is the external drive you have just a bare drive? Was it originally installed in a Computer?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Yes, it was in my old Mac. I also have a metal box for it. I was originally going to use it for older design files.

Are you comfortable installing it in the enclosure?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Nope.

Okay, do you have the instructions that came with the enclosure or can you provide a brand/model of the enclosure? I may be able to find something online to instruct how to do it. Generally, it's very easy BUT every enclosure is not opened the same way.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Absolutely nothing came with the enclosure. The name on the top of the box is Masscool, Fanner Tech USA.

Okay, does it look like any of the enclosures on this page?

http://www.masscool.com/products.php?pid=180

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Yes, it's the 330U.

Okay, fantastic.

Do you have the power cord and USB cable for this enclosure? ...and it should have come with a small package of screws, hopefully.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

There was no power cord, USB cable or screws included.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Nothing came with the enclosure - just the metal box.

Okay, sadly, this is not going to be usable currently without a power cord. The screws can be optional and any proper USB cable will work but matching up a power cord will be a bit more difficult and you may have to get one from Macccool to be certain.

Was this purchased new? It's possible the items were shipped inside the enclosure but you would have to open it to double-check. Near the rear of the enclosure, where the ports are, there is a screw on each side. These would have to be removed and then the rear slides out such as in this photo:

graphic

...and these are the items normally included:
graphic

Failing that, do you have any other way to back up such as CD-RW, flash drive, etc?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

What is a CD-RW? I have CD's. Do not have a flash drive. Are they expensive? Thinking back, I had a guy working on my computer, and he gave me the box for the hard drive. I did not order it.

CD-RW or CD-R are blank CD's for saving data... a Flash drive is better and can hold more.

However, if you have a Best Buy store near you, you can buy a new drive enclosure for as little as $35 and a complete External drive in enclosure for beginning around $50-60 which likely holds far more than your old hard drive.

Oh and you can get a reasonably sized flash drive for around $20, give or take, but they can only be used for manual back up of personal files and not a complete system back up (which is also the case for CD/DVD discs which hold less).
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Okay, John. Well, I went to Best Buy and bought a whole new back-up: the Seagate "Slim Mac Portable Drive", 500 GB's. However, now I can't seem to get it installed! The Best Buy people assured me this was compatible with my computer, but I guess I'm not understanding the process, because it isn't working.

Okay, I think this is the drive you got:

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/standard/seagate-slim-mac/

Going off the specs, it sounds like the the software requires OS X 10.6 at least. HOWEVER, you are best to avoid the software anyway.

When you plug the hard drive into the Mac is it recognized?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Yes, I opened it up and dragged the icon into my dock. But nothing happens when I then click it.

I've been trying all night so far! Watched the video 3 x but it's not showing what the video says it will.

Okay, remove it from your Dock for now.

In the Finder,

click the Go menu at the very top of the screen and choose "Computer"

Locate the seagate external hard drive.

Control-click or Right-click on it and choose Get Info. Please tell me what it says for

Format:
Capacity:
Available:
Used:
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Okay, it says:

Format Mac OS Extended Journal

Capacity: 465.44 GB

Available: 464.64 GB

Used: 821.7 MB on disk

(861,646,848 bytes)

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Do you have any answers yet?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Well, I can't keep my eyes open, John. I have to put the dishes in the dishwasher and go to bed. It must be time for you to go to bed, too. Hopefully you will replay in the morning.

Sorry for the late reply, was called away unexpectedly. Your hard drive is ready to go.

I was trying to research the most efficient way to back up your data and still have it readily accessible under 10.6 (where back ups will then be automated).

However, I think we'll have to do it manually. Drop me a line tomorrow when you are available. I should be around after 1PM EDT.

Good night!

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks. I teach a class in the morning, will get back to you after 1:00!
See you then!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi John, I'm here!

Expert:  John T. F. replied 11 months ago.
Hi Patricia!

I think the easiest thing for you to do right now would be to try Carbon Copy Cloaner. A version is still available for OS X 10.4 and it should be able to copy your data to the backup drive:

http://www.bombich.com/download.html
Click where it says "CCC 3.4.7" in the white box.

Open the archive once downloaded and copy CCC to your Applications folder.

Launch Carbon Copy Cloner

Choose your startup disk in the Source menu (usually Macintosh HD)

Choose your new volume in the Destination menu (The Seagate external drive)

Click the Clone button

If all goes well, it should back up your entire system to the external drive. Once that is complete, we can move on to the next step...
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Okay! Backup is complete!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

What do I do next???

Ok. Great!

Now, do you have the original install media for applications you use regularly?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Well, let me check.

Yes, I think I have everything.

Okay. Good.

Insert the OS X install CD.

Restart the computer and as soon as you hear the startup chime, press the "C" key to boot from the disc.

Choose your language and when you are sitting at the Introductory Installer screen, go up to "Utilities" and choose Disk Utility.

In Disk Utility, choose your hard drive from the listing in the left sidebar and then choose the "Partition" tab.

Under Volume Scheme, click "Current" and choose "1 Partition".

Name your hard drive on the right side (usually "Macintosh HD") and choose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format.

Now click Apply.

Once the process has completed, exit Disk Utility and attempt to install OS X.

After the install, keep running System Preferences > Software Update until no more updates are offered.

Hopefully I'll see you on the other side! :)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I got down to choosing the hard drive from the left sidebar list, but don't see anything that says "Partition Tab."I'm on my iPad now so that I don't hopefully have to begin again!
Ok try choosing the physical drive listed just above Macintosh HD.

Make sure you are NOT selecting anything having to do with the Seagate drive.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Omigod!I think I'm on "the other side". But do I want to use Seagate Slim Drive to back up with Time Machine? ("Decide later" or "use as backup disk"?). And when do I start with the updates on Preferences?will everything that was on my hard drive now appear? Or do I have to download from Seagate?

Awesome!!

Choose "Decide later" for Time Machine right now.

Do all the updates now.

Click the Apple menu in the menu bar, choose System Preferences

Choose Software Update

Click Check Now.

Install updates, restart the Mac, check for more updates and repeat until none are offered. When finished, you should be running 10.6.8.

Because there were issues with upgrading and because you were on an older version of OS X, your personal data will have to be manually pulled back over from the Seagate and any applications you use should be re-installed from original install media.

...but first get the OS X updates finished and then once we have personal data and apps installed then Time Machine can be turned on.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Am doing now. Will get back to you when that's finished!
Good luck and great progress so far! :-)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I THINK I have installed all the updates. whoops, maybe not. Now, do I open the Seagate drive to get to my hard drive and files? from now on? I don't see Photoshop, which I use all the time. Do I have to reinstall? Have to go to bed now... Will check your answer in the morning!

Okay, if all the OS X updates are installed....

The next step is to re-install all of your apps (Photoshop, etc...). Re-install from the original media, if you have it and then apply whatever free updates are available. If you have shareware to install, you may want to check for the latest versions as many will still work with prior serial numbers, etc....

If you run into a problem with one of them, let me know and we'll work through it until it is installed and running.

Once that is done, we can then move your personal data from the Seagate. The intention is to eventually have what you need on the iMac and you won't need the Seagate for anything other than to sit there and keep backups in the background (set it and forget it more or less).

Note: When installing software, make sure any installers are pointing to the internal hard drive and not the Seagate. Some updaters may try to update software there, as well.