Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

How can I clear the search and recent item history on a Mac

Customer Question

How can I clear the search and recent item history on a Mac for a specific period of time. I want to be able to delete everything that was done on a specific day without disrupting other files. Also I need to be able to do this without logging on and off.
I realize this sounds a little nefarious. I went on my daughter's computer because I was worried she had been lying about her whereabouts recently and was concerned for her safety. I conducted a few searches and opened some files and would like to be able to clear that day's activity.

Thank youh
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

When you were conducting those searches, were you using Safari, or Mozilla firefox, or google chrome?

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dustin,

I did not conduct any Internet searches. I looked through photos and documents to see when they were taken and searched names. All of the history is local.

Thank you.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood..

And youve run into an issue, the thing is, the way macs are setup theres no way to delete the today history from the finder.. If you delete the history, you actually would be delting the files themselves!!

What you can do though, is go into your finder preferences, and turn off the view for today

In Finder preferences, under Sidebar, simply uncheck "Today" and they are gone.

That would at least stop the results of what you searched from showing immediately, and then once she used the computer for a few days, there would be a new history and I doubt shed go back several days or a week to see what you had searched, and most likely, shed assume she had searched it herself.

Other then that, we could turn off the entire history function altogether,, although.. That may raise an eyebrow.

if you have any further questions, please let me know.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She is out of town till Sunday with her father. If I uncheck today and the computer is not used again until Saturday night or Sunday what will the history appear as when she goes back on?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Well, If shes not using the computer today, then maybe its best just to clear only the recent items, and leave the older ones..

You should be able to do so, by following the steps below

http://www.ehow.com/how_7326476_remove-history-today-mac-finder.html

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was worried about doing this as I didn't want anything older to be removed. If I follow these steps then her history from Thursday morning and Wednesday will still be there? The link states finder only holds the last 10 files or applications opened in recent items. Does that mean I have effective removed the earlier history by opening files and when I clear it the list will be blank? Basically I wish to make it seem as if I was never on her computer as you can probably gather. How do I revert/remove signs of my activity in a way that when she goes back on it on Sunday everything will appear unchanged. Including the history if she so chooses to check it.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

The recent items, should only clear the recent items.. The older history, and any future history will still show..

So if we remove the recent items, then it should again show just the older items, and all shes going to see is searches and files that she herself had opened earlier this week, last week, etc..

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. That sounds like the solution I need.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

If you run into any issues, you can reply to me at anytime.. I will be online for about the next 8 hours today, so no rush!

Thank you,

Dustin S.