Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Hi, I recently purchased Office Mac 2011. With certain websites

Customer Question

I recently purchased Office Mac 2011. With certain websites when creating hyperlinks I get a pop up from Microsoft telling me to enter my product key or trial 365. It is not through a browser. I had registered my software, as I purchased and downloaded online. I mean I get regular updates. If I try to hyperlink a pdf file, I get asked to enter the websites server username and password. This is crazy. If I directly cut and past the URL, it opens the pdf document directly in the browser. This is madness. It seems ok with vanilla websites (Google, Yahoo etc), but anything different and it is having real problems. Has anyone got any ideas? Is this an Office issue or Apple? I have only recently purchased the iMac. Brand new. I also cleaned up the drive, but that didn't seem to help.

Please help me MacMedic
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Can you clarify? Is the PDF you are trying to hyperlink hosted on a website somewhere or just on your computer?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Mike,

Attached is the document causing the problems (safe work australia links http://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/sites/swa/model-whs-laws/model-cop/a-z-cop/pages/a-z). I have taken a screen shot too (attached) of what happens. The WorkCover NSW links ask for a server username and password. I've found out if I hit cancel the document will load. Do you know why this is happening too? Also, if I save it as a pdf the links don't work, but I've heard about this problem. Have you got an email address and I can send you the attachments? Seems like image files only can be instered.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Go here with any web browser:

http://tinyurl.com/mikemacmedic

Choose Select Files and navigate to your file(s) to upload or you can also just drag the file(s) to the Upload box, then click on Start Uploading Files or Cancel. When it asks for a description put in your justanswer.com or pearl.com username. Thanks.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Mike,

As requested. I have sent you the word and pdf file. XXXXXXXXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

Thanks for your efforts so far.

Cheers

Jon

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
I see 4 files can you clarify what they are?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There should be 2 files. I sent them twice. One with username hyperlink and one with my proper user name c3033899. One is the word file that is causing problems with the (safe work Australia) hyperlinks and the (workcover nsw) links asking for a password. As I said earlier, if I cancel username and password XXXXX it loads page. The other file is a saved version of the word file in PDF. These links don't work at all when viewed in adobe.

Thanks.

Jon
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Sorry which link is asking for a password? I don't dsee it. (workcover nsw)
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Under codes of practice heading. WC01934 work near overhead power lines
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
OK I don't have any problem with that link it must be just your computer. Unfortunatley Word for Mac sucks as far as PDF creation. I converted your file at this site and uploaded it, you can get it here. Let me know what links don't work

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ho5y3iih48uffkr/hyperlinks_converted.pdf
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
And????
Any ideas to what I can do to the computer? It is a month old?
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
If you are making these PDFs for distrubution the fact that there is a problem with your computer should not affect the file you distribute. I assume the PDF I sent you is fine? Do you still get the error message?
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
If you are not using Outlook I suggest you delete any accounts you have there, that might be the trial 365 account.

Let me know about the PDF I sent you but I suggest you use Apple's Pages or a better page layout program like Adobe InDesign or Quark to make those documents in future. If not you can use the PDF converter site I sent you, it seems to convert the Word file with hyperlinks ok even though Microsoft's own converter does not. I would definatley complain to them, it is a disgrace.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Mike,

Yes, the pdf works fine.

I will try deleting the Microsoft account.

cheers

Jon

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Thanks. We can tackle the problem on your own computer too, I did not mean to say that was irrelevant. Let me know
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Mike,

It's a Microsoft issue. I purchased Office for Mac Home and Student 2011, which doesn't come with Outlook. For some reason it wants me to upgrade to Microsoft Home and Business (with Outlook) for hyperlink functions to work. Crazy hey?

When I activate the 30 day trial, the hyperlinks work fine.

I've got Microsoft scratching their heads, because they can't work out the issue. I told them to send me just Office for Mac Home and Student, but evidently they are all the same file, just the application key changes the access. Problem is, it still installs Outlook.

cheers

Jon

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Oh ok you will need to work that out with them.