Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Tech
Experience:  Support Mac laptops, desktops, & iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.
30037186

I am near the end of a large import of photos from my iphone

Customer Question

I am near the end of a large import of photos from my iphone to my Mac iphotos. The import has gotten stuck, and won't continue past this one photo(198 photos remaining).
I'd like to Stop Import, to be able to disengage my phone. The window that comes up
when I click on Stop Import reads "Do you want to keep or delete the photos imported so far?" The choices are 'continue importing' 'keep photos' or 'delete photos'
I want to be sure that the photos are being deleted from my iphone only, and not at risk of deleting the up load so far. Also, because the import is being interrupted, is there any special way I should disconnect my iphone from my Mac?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Viet - Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.

Viet - Mac Tech :

Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

Viet - Mac Tech :

I'm sorry about the issue. Please select 'keep photos'; then disconnect your iPhone normally as you were doing previously, then do you see some photos got imported on the computer?

JACUSTOMER-6r3yowr3- :

Please clarify how to disconnect my iphone, this is not a computer I'm very familiar with.

Viet - Mac Tech :

Go to Finder, then click on the eject icon on the right of the iPhone device

Viet - Mac Tech :

Or in iPhoto, click on your iPhone under Devices, then unmount

Viet - Mac Tech :

(or in iPhoto, right-click (or Control + click) the iPhone device, then unmount); or from Finder, you can also drag the iPhone device to Trash

Viet - Mac Tech :

How is it going?

Viet - Mac Tech :

Are you still there?

JACUSTOMER-6r3yowr3- :

Not well, is it possible to call me? XXX-XXX-XXXX There is not an eject icon, dragging the phone icon did not work, and though I've clicked on Stop Import, the import spinning wheel continues, though the same photo does not change.

Viet - Mac Tech :

I'm sorry, we have online support. Do you see the iPhone in Finder?

Viet - Mac Tech :

Do you see the iPhone in Finder or on the Desktop?

JACUSTOMER-6r3yowr3- :

No, the iphone icon is not showing in either.

Viet - Mac Tech :

Sorry, it looks it's freezing, can you exit iPhoto?

Viet - Mac Tech :

quit iPhoto

JACUSTOMER-6r3yowr3- :

If I do, is my phone at risk? the spinning wheel is not the one that shows when the computer is freezing up, it is the one that normally spins throughout the import process.

Viet - Mac Tech :

No, it won't affect your phone, so don't worry.

JACUSTOMER-6r3yowr3- :

Thank you, I'll go to iphoto and try to quit....

Viet - Mac Tech :

You're welcome. OK, after quiting iPhoto, then eject the phone, then open Iphoto, and check any imported photos.

Viet - Mac Tech :

*unplug the phone

JACUSTOMER-6r3yowr3- :

iphoto will not quit. I clicked on iphoto/ quit iphoto and also tried the red exit button.

Viet - Mac Tech :

Try force-quitting iPhoto:

Viet - Mac Tech :

- Choose Force Quit from the Apple menu (or press Command-Option-Esc), then choose the iPhoto application in the Force Quit window, and click Force Quit.

JACUSTOMER-6r3yowr3- :

Please verify how to force quit

Viet - Mac Tech :

JACUSTOMER-6r3yowr3- :

OK

Viet - Mac Tech :

after that, disconnect the iPhone, then re-open iPhoto, and check for any new imported photo

JACUSTOMER-6r3yowr3- :

The iphoto says photos were not imported, do you want to import? The photos were not deleted from my phone, which was why I started this process a number of hours ago.

Viet - Mac Tech :

Please try to import again

JACUSTOMER-6r3yowr3- :

There are 2,556 photos importing now, is there some way to delete them from my phone w/out importing them a second time?

Viet - Mac Tech :

Is it showing it is actually importing? Did you take these pictures on the phone?

Viet - Mac Tech :

Also, do you have iPhone 3, 4, 5, etc.?

JACUSTOMER-6r3yowr3- :

Yes it is importing, now down to 2,468. Yes these are all photos taken on this phone.

Viet - Mac Tech :

Do you have iPhone 3, 4, 5, etc.?

JACUSTOMER-6r3yowr3- :

iphone 5

Viet - Mac Tech :

Let's wait for it to finish importing first

JACUSTOMER-6r3yowr3- :

It's at 2,242... it may take awhile. My phone is disconnected from the Mac

Viet - Mac Tech :

- To delete a photo from the iPhone (make sure it is not connected to the computer), open the that photo, then select the trash symbol at the bottom right

JACUSTOMER-6r3yowr3- :

I'm familiar with that process, but would hope there is another way to deal with such a large number of photos. If not, then perhaps I should stop the import in process, so that I can reimport another time where the photos can be deleted from the phone once imported. Does the iphone have a memory card?

Viet - Mac Tech :

Sorry, unlike Android phones, iphones do not have memory slots; let me provide the steps to delete multiple photos at a time

Viet - Mac Tech :

- go to the Camera Roll main screen, then select Edit at the top right corner, then simply select the photos you want to delete, then select Delete.

JACUSTOMER-6r3yowr3- :

OK, that worked, it will still be a pretty slow process, considering the # of photos. I appreciate the suggestion.

Viet - Mac Tech :

No problem; yeah, you have tons of photos.

JACUSTOMER-6r3yowr3- :

1,682 photos left, are we waiting to see if they get stuck again? or... Also if you were doing this, would you stop the import and reconfigure it to import with the phone connected so that the photos could be deleted?

Viet - Mac Tech :

Since it's running now, let's wait and . If it does not work, then quit (or force quit if needed) iphoto, then reconfigure it to import again. (Delete all photos you don't need first before importing ago; if you know which photo it shows stuck, then delete that photo also.)

JACUSTOMER-6r3yowr3- :

I need to go to bed, can I reconnect with you in the morning if there was any problem with the upload?

JACUSTOMER-6r3yowr3- :

So far it seems to be going along ok.

Viet - Mac Tech :

Yes, of course, you can get back to me via this web page from your email; tomorrow, look for message from JustAnswer (check the email spam/junk folder if needed.)

JACUSTOMER-6r3yowr3- :

Thank you for your help. I'll finish up the process in the morning.

Viet - Mac Tech :

You're welcome. Good night! Thank you,