Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment

Excessive Data Usage. I have a MacBook Pro with Parallels and

Customer Question

Excessive Data Usage. I have a MacBook Pro with Parallels and windows 7 that uses excessive data on my Verizon Jetpack. I do mostly email, news and a few short videos. I have the updates on manuel so I go to hotspots for that. I used two external monitors when I first got the Mac, but not any more. Last month I used 10 gig, the three months before that I used 7 gig. I only have a 5 gig plan. I used to have a windows desktop and a windows laptop that didn't use any where near as much as the Mac. Are there some settings that I can change or what? How can I find out what is going on?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ernest Agyare replied 12 months ago.

ErnestAgyare :

hello my name is XXXXXX XXX i will be assisting you

ErnestAgyare :

i am very familiar with this issue

ErnestAgyare :

let me know when you are available

Customer :

I am.

ErnestAgyare :

what is your name please

Customer :

Rodney

ErnestAgyare :

Rodney I am very familiar with situation working for state dept and assigning verizon jetpacks....I am ready to provide you with the reason ..if for some reason its not what you expect PLEASE DO NOT RATE ME...just request me to opt out ....is that fair?

Customer :

Yes

ErnestAgyare :

ok ...the jetpack works this way....its usually not how much you use it ...its what you are using it for...certain sites or certain activities on the internet drain your gb plan...usually what we used to do at the state dept is upgrade the plan to an unlimited plan or upgrade them to a hotspot which is unlimited

ErnestAgyare :

usually verizon can give you a chart that tells you what most of your data went to ...so you will know what activity is draining the most data

Customer :

They say they can't see where I am going anymore. Guess I have to ask NSA for that.

ErnestAgyare :

they should be able to...trust me ...i worked for both GSA and State Dept...they can tell...this is how we know GSA employees spend most of their time on youtube and facebook...because the data peaks...

ErnestAgyare :

my honest suggestion will be a hotspot....to allow you unlimited usage...for example one of our execs had the jetpack and went overseas.....he used up his plan sending emails and skyping (in ONE DAY)....we had to immediately upgrade him to an international plan and provide him a hotspot for unlimited usage

Customer :

Is that all you suggest? That is no help.

ErnestAgyare :

i understand rodney but i am being straight forward with you...there is no setting that will change you data usage in mac.....

ErnestAgyare :

would you like me to opt out...i figure i save you sometime ...but i guess its not what you want to hear

Customer :

And no way to find out what is using the data?

ErnestAgyare :

no if it was a phone ...i can show you how to do that ...the jet packs just have the menu to set it up ...but not to see the data usage....your provider is suppose to be able provide you with that....sir i believe in honest....as i initially stated...i have dealt with this many time..anything else will frustrate you more...

Customer :

Thanks, please opt out.

ErnestAgyare :

but i will be glad to opt out if that is what you want

ErnestAgyare :

no problem....opting out now

ErnestAgyare :

Rodney we can to an agreement not to rate me and ask me to opt out...why are rating me...no matter what we tell you..you will not accept it ...we have diagnosed and told you the issue...but i guess this is you way of not being charge

Expert:  Ernest Agyare replied 11 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

My other computer did not use near as much data as the Mac. You did not help me to find out why, and how to make it use less, or find out why or where it is using so much.

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name is XXXXXX, XXX X am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

I think there is a solution to this issue.. As there is to most issues, we certainly should be able to install a traffic monitor on your mac side, and pc side,, to monitor the data your using and where.

before we discuss that though, Id like to ask you a few questions.. Did you put both Windows and Apple os both on manual, and not automatic updates?

Also with windows, even if you put it on manual, did you set it so that it does not download updates until you tell it to?

And then we still have many many other programs.. Such as itunes, It could be downloading its own updates, even if you have automatic system updates turned off.

Not to mention, itunes can also manually download and refresh its album art and song information etc, this can also use data..

There are many other programs which will use the internet connection as well. One thing you could do, is when your online, use your firewall, and exclude every single program from the net access list, except your web browser. That way, you no for certain that no other program is downloading, or uploading, or refreshing itself etc.

Also, not sure if your using any type of sync, such as icloud, or companion sync, or drop box, or any type of backup programs like norton ghost, carbonite, mozy backup, or even google drive. Any type of automatic sync or backup programs, could chew through data quickly.

Now, for us to get some actual specific and detailed data, we need to install a free app like netspeedmonitor, or Netbalancer

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/43713/how-to-monitor-the-bandwidth-consumption-of-individual-applications/

That way, we can know for certain exactly which of the many issues /applications above
are eating up your bandwidth, and then act to shut them down or stop them.

if you have any further questions or concerns, let me know and I will continue to assist you.

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok, Yes I put both windows and Mac on manual downloads so they do not download updates until I tell it to. I don't use itunes at all. How can I use my firewall to exclude every program from net access list, except my web browser?

Not using icloud, dropbox, carbonite, or any type of automatic sync or backup programs that I know of.

I installed netbalancer on the windows side, but what can I put on the Mac side?

Thanks,

Rodney

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.
On the windows side.. To exlude all programs..

Follow the steps below

http://www.wikihow.com/Block-a-Program-With-Windows-Firewall

When you get to the section where it shows all the checkboxes, for the allowed programs.

Uncheck everything but the boxes for your web browsers.. Then save settings.

Now, nothing but the web browsers will be able to use internet.. ( though you can always add a program back later by going to that screen and adding a checkmark next to it )

And this mac page, covers blocking all non essential programs.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11309

Once all thats done, your internet usage should be drastically reduced.

And this site, has a program for mac that will allow you to monitor your bandwidth.

http://www.digitician.com.au/

If you have any further questions Rodney, please let me know.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I did the compatibility check on Mac with Peak Hour, and it couldn't find any compatible devices