Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Mac Expert, 7+ years of experience in installation and trouble shooting of mac osx and apps

I have just restored my MacBook Pro after a disc corruption.

Customer Question

The restore was from my latest Time Machine backup.
When I open iPhoto '09 (8.1.2 (424) most of the images are there. However, there are some that don't appear !!!! When I click in the Event area and 'edit' a blank image the thumbnail images show what it is.
I have tried to find the image number to no avail.

Have I lost the image file and the thumbnail image is the data detail file.

Hope someone can assist

Cheers XXXXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ernest Agyare replied 3 years ago.

ErnestAgyare :

hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX i can assist you with this issue please do not rate me until i am done

ErnestAgyare :

do you know ehn that lst time machine back up was Peter

JACUSTOMER-txc3qx9e- :

15th July

ErnestAgyare :

where those pictures available during the backup

JACUSTOMER-txc3qx9e- :

ErnestAgyare :

also remember a disc corruption can affect some of you files on you hd

ErnestAgyare :

i have a feeling you will not like my answer so with you permission i will like to opt out without you rating me please

JACUSTOMER-txc3qx9e- :

It seemed to be only during the startup process

JACUSTOMER-txc3qx9e- :

I wouldn't think photos would be in that sector and they are not just the last photos

JACUSTOMER-txc3qx9e- :

It appears all the way thru the events

ErnestAgyare :

what version iphoto are you using

JACUSTOMER-txc3qx9e- :

As I said in the original text - '09 version 8.1.2 (424)

ErnestAgyare :

i have worked for apple before and usually this happens after some disc corruption ,,,,but i would like another expert to take a shot please hold on

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 3 years ago.

Hello Sir. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

You said some pictures showing and some not showing. If so it is a file missing or permission related issue. Renaming, moving, or deleting items in the iPhoto Library folder also cause this type of problems. So try to locate the image or resolve the issue by following the steps below.

Part I: Locating the image

In this first series of steps, you can skip to Part II, below, as soon as you successfully locate the file.

1. Select the image's thumbnail in Album or Library view.
  2. Control-click or right-click the photo, and choose Show File from the shortcut menu. If successful, the photo's master file will appear in a Finder window.
  3. If you locate the file this way, try opening it in Preview to be sure that it's a readable and complete image.
  4. If the Finder does not display the desired photo, or if you can't choose Show File from the shortcut menu, try searching for the file using Spotlight the Find command in the Finder (File > Find).
  5. If that didn't locate the photo, try choosing Show Original File or Revert To Original from the shortcut menu (as in step 2). What this does: If you previously edited the image in iPhoto, this might succeed in reverting to a pre-edited copy.
  6. If you still can't locate the photo, you should stop here and reimport the image from your backup location or media. If you can't import the file let me know the exact error message you are getting.

Part II: Finding and resolving permissions issues

1. Once you locate the photo file, select it in the Finder.
  2. From the File menu, choose Get Info.
  3. In Info window that appears, click the disclosure triangle near the bottom to reveal Ownership & Permissions.
  4. Make sure that you have Read or Read & Write access to this file. If necessary, change this using the menus.
  5. Close the Info window.
  6. Try to view the photo again in iPhoto.
  7. If the photo still does not appear in iPhoto, try reimporting the file by dragging its file icon from the Finder onto the iPhoto icon in the Dock.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No good.

It can't find the image file.

Tried restoring from an earlier date and still an issue.

Why does the thumbnail show the image?

it seems you are looking for an answer that simply isnt i told you i have dealt with this issue over 20 times....i gave you the solution and was extremely honest to prevent you from wasting you time...and here we are hours later....please take my word for it or call apple to confirm...i am simply telling you the truth...and you rewarded my honesty with poor service

Okay, please look in iPhoto ~> Preferences ~> Events and see that you have "Show Event photos" selected in "Double-Click Event"

If it not helps, Quit iPhoto, then hold down the Command and Option keys while starting iPhoto. A dialog appears asking if you’re sure you want to rebuild your library and giving you several options for doing so. Select all check boxes and click on rebuild button. Wait a little to complete the Rebuild process. Check and reply me the result.

Hello Sir, try my suggestions and let me know the result.