Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Mac Expert, 7+ years of experience in installation and trouble shooting of mac osx and apps

I have aperture 3 two external hds and a new iMac. I have

Customer Question

I have aperture 3 two external hd's and a new iMac. I have copied from a 2.0 external HD everything to a new 3.0 HD all are referenced to the 2.0 HD. How do I get Apperture 3 to recognize the referenced files on the 3.0 HD without consolidating first as I have thousands of masters.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ernest Agyare replied 3 years ago.

ErnestAgyare :

hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be assisting you

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 3 years ago.

Hello Sir. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

By default Aperture places your images within the Aperture library file. The Mac OS hides these files from the user. This is a source of confusion among many Mac users. Because they can’t see their files, they assume that moving the whole library files is an all or nothing endeavor. It is not.

You can view the individual images within your Aperture library. Find your Aperture Library file (usually located in your Pictures folder), right click and select “Show Package Contents”, then select the “Masters” folder. All of your individual files will be there.

Do not move the files directly from Finder onto your external hard drive. This will confuse your Aperture library. There is an easy mechanism within Aperture to move your photos to an external hard drive.

From within Aperture select the files you wish to move. You can select multiple projects. Then go to the File menu and select “Relocate Masters”. Then select the destination folder. By default this will save the files by project name on to the destination disk. (If your Aperture library file is on the first External Disk and you need to transfer it to second disk, make sure you connected both disks. )

Once the images are moved to the external hard drive, the previews will still be available in the Library even when the external hard drive is unplugged. You can also make catalog or metadata changes to the files. You will not be able to develop or make adjustments to the image. You also cannot export or share the file without the external hard drive plugged in.

Please refer this Youtube Video also.

Hello Sir, Did you tried my suggestion ? Do you need any help ? Please let me know.