Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Help...cant open powerpoint I just worked on...went to finder...it

Customer Question

Help...can't open powerpoint I just worked on...went to finder...it is there but still can't open it.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is John, I will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Do you receive any errors or messages when attempting to open the file?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes can't open in powerpoint. I think it had something to do with my trying to save it to a memory stick. I would appreciate a call. Not sure that I know enough to answer your questions.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Beverly, I'm sorry but JustAnswer doesn't allow telephone calls. Everything must be done through the site for reasons of security.

Is the file currently stored on the flash dirve/memory stick?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No can't find it. Now it says it can't be located and mention alias

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The alias (name of powerpoint) can't be found. do I want to delete or fix alias.....

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Is the memory stick still in the Mac?

Also, were you trying to copy the file in Finder onto the memory stick or were you trying to save it there from within Power point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

memory stick out...tried to save from powerpoint. When I checked...it was not on the stick.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Getting late..need this presentation early in morning. will need to recreate if can't open. HELP

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me what version of OS X you are currently running?

Click the Apple Logo in the menubar at the top of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.8.2

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Beverly.

In the extreme top right of the screen, on the menu bar, you should see a magnifying glass for Spotlight search. Click the magnifying glass and type in the name of your document. Does it appear in the search results?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is there I can see the pictures in the slide show but when I try to open it it gives me the can't open error finder

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay.

In the search result, hover your mouse over the file name so it shows the preview window.

Press and hold the Command on your keyboard and the file name should appear directly at the bottom of the preview window.

Move your mouse over that and in a second or two it should display the path where the file is located.

What does it say?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

went to Beverlytyner...(folder) doc..powerpoint..name of document..it is there but still don't see how to open it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Beverly Tyner-Docs-powerpoint (this is the path)

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, if you go to that folder and right-click or Control-click on the document, what options are available under "Open With"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The selected item does not show path. Again, I can see it in finder.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see the memory stick under shared. I have reinserted to see if I can find it.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
To clarify, you can or can not see it in Finder?

In the Finder, click the Go menu and choose "Home"

In the new window that appears, locate Docs or Documents and open it

Locate the Powerpoint folder and open it.

Do you see the file here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After inserting the stick, in the finder it says that is is reading and downloading...should I let it continue? I do not see the Go menu in finder. Yes, i do see the video listed.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Where is it downloading to? If you have photos on this drive it may be loading them into iPhoto which would be fine.

The Go menu is in the menu bar at the very top of the screen when you are on the Desktop or a Finder window.

click the Go menu and choose "Home"

If you see the file here, right-click or Control-click on the document

What options are available under "Open With"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

options are open...open enclosing folder...get info..quick look. When I try to go...blank...can't find original.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
If you choose Quick Look, what do you see?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

shows the file but box is blank...like vacant.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, if you chose Get Info, does it show a size listed?

...and does it have an entry for "Original"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it shows the size as 52,083,712

Has select new original but cant open it

under that it has a box and locked but box not checked

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I must get to bed soon. only have 3 hours to sleep.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm, what does it show for "Kind"?

We can continue this at another time if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had been on the line for several hours without the assistance needed to fix my issues.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Beverly.

If you've sent a message prior to now, I have not received it. The last message was received 07/17 at 2:59AM EDT.