Ernest Agyare
Ernest Agyare, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  5 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN MAC AND A MAC USER
74848643

I have an iTunes library on an old macbook that doesnt connect

Customer Question

I have an iTunes library on an old macbook that doesn't connect to the internet anymore and a PC authorized. I was trying to sync songs from the macbook to the PC via the 16 gb iPod touch (old model). The iPod songs and albums got erased somehow. How can I restore the songs and albums?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ernest Agyare replied 1 year ago.

ErnestAgyare :

my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be assisting you today...

Customer:

hello

ErnestAgyare :

the songs you want to transfer are on the mac?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

but the macbook is an old version that doesn't connect to the internet

Customer:

i need to get it serviced for its internet, but all else works fine

ErnestAgyare :

and which laptop did you sync the ipod to...the macbook with the songs or the pc

Customer:

i synced the ipod to the pc

ErnestAgyare :

yes that will wipe the ipod down..clean if you have no songs on the pc

Customer:

i thought that since the songs and everything should be online on iTunes, I could sync it once I get online, but everything got erased

ErnestAgyare :

and unfortunately those songs cannot be recovered ....

Customer:

Some of the songs were able to come to the pc in the past, but not all of them.

Customer:

I was trying to find a way to sync all of them to the pc.

ErnestAgyare :

download itunes on the new pc

ErnestAgyare :

the only way to sync them to the pc is the way i showed you

ErnestAgyare :

log in with your itunes account and click share music it will authorize that laptop to connect to you itunes account

Customer:

the pc is already authorized with some of the library on it. My account says I have authorized 4 computers already with this iPod.

ErnestAgyare :

so you have one left ...if its authorized then you should have the same exact music on you macbook as you pc...they should be identical.....now if there is music that is on the ipod that is currently not on the macbook ...then those songs are lost

ErnestAgyare :

PLEASE DO NOT RATE ME IF YOU DISAGREE ....i can simply opt out for another expert....but i have answered about 100 of these questions when i worked for mac

ErnestAgyare :

are the songs on the mac identical to the pc?

Customer:

i'll rate you very nicely...the songs on the mac are greater in number than the songs on the pc.

Customer:

the mac doesn't connect to the internet

ErnestAgyare :

that is you issue then

Customer:

if i download iTunes again to the pc, will the current (not complete) library of songs on the pc be lost?

ErnestAgyare :

you more than likely have added more songs since you mac has stopped working and those songs cannot be synced to you account to transfer to the pc because you have no internet ...does that kind of make sense

Customer:

yes

ErnestAgyare :

if you reinstall itunes without deleting the old one it will just do an update for the old itunes

Customer:

to reinstall itunes, do i need to delete the old itunes? no, i think, right?

ErnestAgyare :

you will have to fix the internet in order for it to connect and sync those music added after the internet stopped

ErnestAgyare :

no you dont need to

ErnestAgyare :

may i ask why you are reinstalling though

ErnestAgyare :

you will run inton the same issue

Customer:

didn't you suggest reinstalling itunes on the pc?

ErnestAgyare :

basically....you need the internet to transfer the rest of the music from mac to pc...any song that was JUST ON THE IPOD...not on the mac is gone

Customer:

okay, i understand.

Customer:

ill go to the apple store to get it fixed. do you how much it costs to upgrade the wireless for an old macbook?

ErnestAgyare :

i really am not sure...depends on which wireless adapter you will be using

ErnestAgyare :

its not extremely expensive though

ErnestAgyare :

you can install a wireless adapter yourself but it will be an external one for really cheap

Customer:

okay, i'll get it. afterwards, for the pc, do you have any suggestions?

ErnestAgyare :

its up to you ...if you feel it is a mac that you will be using for a long time then buy a reasonable one but if you need it just to transfer the music then i suggest even buying just an adapter

Customer:

you stated that once the macbook library is updated via iTunes, then the PC and iPod should update equally..?

ErnestAgyare :

no the pc will update equally

ErnestAgyare :

you will have to re sync the ipod

Customer:

okay, i think i understand. an adapter can be found at the apple store?

ErnestAgyare :

yes or any retail store that sells computer

ErnestAgyare :

even online like ebay

Customer:

okay, no problem. i'll get that done.

ErnestAgyare :

no problem i will send you a link of what i am speaking off one moment

ErnestAgyare :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141018060175?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

ErnestAgyare :

here you go..

ErnestAgyare :

is there anything else i could assist you with this evening.....i also want to thank you for remembering to rate me as that is how i get credit for assisting you

Customer:

thank you. i'll give you "excellent" don't worry.

Customer:

take care.

Experience: 5 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN MAC AND A MAC USER