Ernest Agyare
Ernest Agyare, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  5 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN MAC AND A MAC USER
74848643

hi, imac (2008 model) freezed during boot, freezes booting

Customer Question

hi, imac (2008 model) freezed during boot, freezes booting in safe mode, started in target disk mode , tried to repair the hard drive , that freezes as well ( on the control laptop) soon after starting 'checking the catalog file.. help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ernest Agyare replied 1 year ago.

ErnestAgyare :

hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be assisting you

ErnestAgyare :

its looks like you have done a few trouble shooting already....did you try reseting the pram and sms

ErnestAgyare :

smc

ErnestAgyare :

here is the instructions if you have not already done that

ErnestAgyare :

SMC RESET

• Shut down the computer.

• Unplug the computer's power cord and ALL peripherals.

• Wait 15 seconds.

• Attach the computers power cable.

• Wait another 5 seconds and press the power button to turn on the computer.

PRAM RESET

• Shut down the computer.

• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

• Turn on the computer.

• Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

• Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

• Release the keys.

Customer:

i forgot.. already dont that thats the first thing... also.. before it totally stopped working, it would crash randomly .. with the spinning rainbow ball. why would pram reset affect repair disk in target mode?

ErnestAgyare :

well it will help with the freezing ....

ErnestAgyare :

may i be honest

ErnestAgyare :

PLEASE DONT RATE ME IF YOU DISAGREE

Customer:

yes ok

Customer:

anyway reset pram long ago , no diff

ErnestAgyare :

from the troubleshoot you have done and what i suggested it seem your HD is going bad ...i would have included the OS but you said you already tried updating it to lion and same result

ErnestAgyare :

but i can opt out for another expert

Customer:

and basically i thot about the hd disk .. but... why can i not boot from bootable USB, or original boot disk?

ErnestAgyare :

i just wanted to save you time

Customer:

i got time lol!! hasnt worked for over a week

ErnestAgyare :

thats what i am explaining to you...if you hd is going bad...it will not support you booting from original disk because its a bad hd....

ErnestAgyare :

i can guarantee you apple will tell you the same thing because i worked for them at pentagon city virginia before

Customer:

so .... next?

Customer:

replace hd?

ErnestAgyare :

just being honest...

ErnestAgyare :

yes a new hd will solve you issue...if what you said earlier is correct about re sitting you memory

Customer:

i also swapped the memory around

ErnestAgyare :

all the troublshooting in the world will not work

ErnestAgyare :

yes i believe the memory is fine

ErnestAgyare :

i think its your HS

ErnestAgyare :

HD

Customer:

ok. i have all on time machine so, lets see how that goes..

Customer:

so thats it?

Customer:

done?

ErnestAgyare :

i can go over a few troubleshooting methods but it will be waste of you time but we can still do it

Customer:

sure tell me !! need to get my money's worth of support haha

ErnestAgyare :

if you dont want to rate me that is fine with me ...im more concerned on giving you the right details and pointing you the right direction

Customer:

i will rate u good service

ErnestAgyare :

if you would like to do a few more steps we can

ErnestAgyare :

but your hd is on its way out...you will want to change the hd soon

Customer:

tomorrow if i can get one..

ErnestAgyare :

i will be available tomorrow if you need further assistance...i know this is not what you anticipated

Customer:

i had a feeling but wanted reassurance from an expert. especially when it failed in the repair in target mode.. but shouldnt i be able to boot from a bootable USB? weather the internal HD works or not??

ErnestAgyare :

not it will not ....because that is just putting the os over the bad hd...

ErnestAgyare :

lol i know its not what you want to hear but TRUST ME ITS IS THE SOLUTION....a brand new hd...

Customer:

ok makes sense

ErnestAgyare :

i try to be honest and not have you do unnecessary steps just to tell you 3 hours later what i am telling yo now

ErnestAgyare :

*you

Customer:

if they have in stock.. im back online tomorrw. i have all the right tools to take it apart and replace( im a PC repair guy but mac user haha)

Customer:

ok.. thanks all done!

ErnestAgyare :

no problem

Experience: 5 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN MAC AND A MAC USER