Ernest Agyare
Ernest Agyare, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  5 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN MAC AND A MAC USER
74848643

My mac book 13" 2010 will not start up . It has been running

My mac book 13" 2010 will not start up . It has been running extremley slow up until now. All I have is the gray apple and swirly thing for hours now. Is there anything I can do to make it run faster as well and stop freezing up! Please Help! Thank you Erin
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ernest Agyare replied 1 year ago.

ErnestAgyare :

hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX i can assist you with this issue

ErnestAgyare :

have you reset the smc and pram

ErnestAgyare :

Resetting NVRAM / PRAM

1. Shut down your Mac.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

ErnestAgyare :

are you there

Customer:

Hello i did not hear is chime twice

ErnestAgyare :

no problem

ErnestAgyare :

did you see the instructions to reset your pram?

Customer:

yes let me try again

ErnestAgyare :

yes reset it and let me see the result

ErnestAgyare :

also do you have the utility cd

Customer:

ok i heard it 3 time this time

Customer:

no

ErnestAgyare :

ok when you release the key what is going on now

Customer:

gray apple swirly thing

ErnestAgyare :

is that what you were seeing before?

Customer:

yes

ErnestAgyare :

how long has it been stuck on that screen

Customer:

since yesterday

ErnestAgyare :

press the power button till it shuts down

Customer:

done

ErnestAgyare :

then power it up and press c immediately after

Customer:

now just blank screen

ErnestAgyare :

wait a few seconds

Customer:

ok

ErnestAgyare :

what is it doing now

ErnestAgyare :

what is it doing now

Customer:

apple swirly is back

ErnestAgyare :

ok....may i be honest

Customer:

i hope so

ErnestAgyare :

ok please dont rate me if you dissagree...i am fine with that

ErnestAgyare :

BUT

ErnestAgyare :

we have had similar issues such as yours and spent countless hours trying different things....what i have noticed is that usually if you are unable to do a pram or an smc reset...its means you either have a corrupted operating system or corrupted HD...if its the operating system apple will cover free...usually a utility cd sometimes recovers you operating system but you said you dont have it...i can opt out if you want to waste more time for other experts to try ...i am absolutely fine with that...just wanted to save you time and be honest

Customer:

do i have to 38.00 dollars for this

Customer:

pay

ErnestAgyare :

you dont have to rate me as i stated or you can give me a neutral just ok rating ...i believe that does charge you

Customer:

if i dont rate i dont pay?

ErnestAgyare :

i think you still pay but not sure .....because we diagnosed the issue and told you the issue is either bad hd or corrupted OS which we cant do anything to fix remotely....prior to this conversation i dont think you knew that....i really dont know what to do about not paying....

Customer:

ok i was just making sure

Customer:

how do i get a utility cd

ErnestAgyare :

if you feel the information giving were not helpful then dont rate...if you it was just ok....give an ok rating ...im really indifferent just wanted to be honest and tell you the root of your issue

ErnestAgyare :

you can order it from apple or find someone that has one

ErnestAgyare :

it came with the machine when you first bought it

Customer:

ok i bought it used didnt come with one

ErnestAgyare :

its fairly cheap

ErnestAgyare :

you can order it directly from apple by giving them your serial number

Customer:

ok thanks for your help. ernest

ErnestAgyare :

but like i said they can do that for you ....for free if the issue is just a bad corrupted OS

ErnestAgyare :

no problem

ErnestAgyare :

is there anything else i can assist you with before i exit?

Customer:

who apple?

Customer:

how do i get intouch with them please

ErnestAgyare :

yes apple will repair it if its just a software issue for free...

ErnestAgyare :

like i said i am providing you with information on how to get it fixed because i know the root and its beyond anything we can do

ErnestAgyare :

you can call the 800 number

ErnestAgyare :

or find the closest apple store to you

ErnestAgyare :

do you need me to locate the 800 number

Customer:

yes please

ErnestAgyare :

1-800-my-apple

Customer:

thank you

ErnestAgyare :

is there anything else i may assist you with

Customer:

where do i find my serial number

ErnestAgyare :

the serial number for the laptop

Customer:

yes

ErnestAgyare :

under the laptop

ErnestAgyare :

i really hope im not getting a negative rating for this

Customer:

on the bottom

ErnestAgyare :

yes it should be directly underneath

Customer:

your not dont worry

Customer:

im just trying ask everything i can before we are finished

ErnestAgyare :

you will see FC AND OTHER symbols writing in bold and underneath is the serial number

Customer:

ok im looking now i m trying to get the case off lol

Customer:

thank you i found it . have a great day

ErnestAgyare :

no problem

ErnestAgyare :

may i exit now ?

Customer:

thats it thanks again

Experience: 5 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN MAC AND A MAC USER