Nick H.
Nick H., Mac Specialist
Experience:  Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Pro G5.

On my iPad, when I go into the Skype icon, it shows a plain

On my iPad, when I go into the Skype icon, it shows a plain blue screen with the word "skype" inside a cloud, and under it it has a place for my name and a password, but the name I thought I had on Skype, and the password XXXXX thought I had, do not work. I cannot get out of this plain blue screen for some reason to request a new password XXXXX a new name, or anything. How can I make this work?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Nick H. replied 1 year ago.

NickMacExpert :

Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you today.

NickMacExpert :

Do you chat with me on your iPad or computer?

Customer:

Not sure how to chat. I am on my computer right now.

NickMacExpert :

Thanks.

NickMacExpert :

Please first bookmark this page. Save this page to your Favorites or Bookmarks in case we get disconnected.

NickMacExpert :

Let me know when you are done so we can proceed.

Customer:

Not sure how to bookmark. I know that sounds nuts, but I do not know how to do that even though I use my computer for email all the time.

NickMacExpert :

That is fine.

NickMacExpert :

We will do a Password XXXXX Please CLICK HERE and enter your Skype email address. You will get an email from Skype to reset your password.

NickMacExpert :

Check for that email. Click on the link on that email and it will let you reset the password XXXXX your Skype account.

NickMacExpert :

After reset your password, go to iPad and enter your account and new password.

NickMacExpert :

It should let you log into your Skype on your ipad to chat or video chat again.

Customer:

I chanted the password XXXXX to the Skype instructions, and then I was supposed to download Skype to my computer, but I cannot seem to do that, and in the meantime, I still cannot get out of the plain blue screen on my iPad, with Skype in the cloud. Do I enter the new Skype name and password XXXXX my iPad? This is very confusing. I don't know how I got to this screen in Skype to begin with.

NickMacExpert :

On the iPad, please enter your email address and NEW password.

NickMacExpert :

See if it will log you in.

Customer:

I just did that and it did log me in, but the various people that I had had pictures of are gone except for 2. How can I get it on my regular computer so that I have two ways to get into Skype, and why did it put me into the plain blue screen with the cloud on it on the iPad?

NickMacExpert :

Excellent!

NickMacExpert :

When you chat with your contacts, the pictures will get back.

NickMacExpert :

On your computer, do you have Skype installed?

Customer:

Well, I tried that a few minutes ago and tried to follow the instructions for download, but I cannot get it to work. And on the iPad, I cannot get out of the History screen now. (I was trying to get back to the main icon for Skype the way it always used to appear, and I cannot go back to the main icon.) I think I just do not know how to navigate the Skype screens now that I am logged in with the new password, and I do not seem to be able to download Skype to my regular computer screen.

NickMacExpert :

You can try to do a quick reset on your iPad

NickMacExpert :

Press and hold the Power and Home button for 10-12 seconds. Your iPad will reboot.

Customer:

What do you mean by quick reset?

NickMacExpert :

Full Size Image

NickMacExpert :

After reset, open Skype

NickMacExpert :

It will open the normal screen

NickMacExpert :

Is your computer a Windows or Mac?

NickMacExpert :

I will give you the link to download Skype

Customer:

I have tried to hold down the power button for 10-12 seconds, but it does not turn off the iPad. And when I go back to the main iPad screen that has the Skype icon on it, and I press the icon again, it just goes back to the same screen it was on before and I cannot get out of it. My computer is Windows.

NickMacExpert :

On your Ipad, press Power button and the button in front at the same time for 12 seconds.

NickMacExpert :

Your ipad will automatically turn off and turn back on.

Customer:

Wait, I just found the main power button. Let me try that--it is on the side, right?

NickMacExpert :

The Power button is on top

NickMacExpert :

the HOme button is the button in the front with a square

NickMacExpert :

Full Size Image

NickMacExpert :

See that photo?

NickMacExpert :

Hold those 2 buttons

Customer:

OK, found it. The iPad has turned off. I am now turning it back on again.

NickMacExpert :

Excellent!

NickMacExpert :

Open Skype and it will open the normal Home screen.

Customer:

It opens to the All Contacts screen. Is that what it should do?

NickMacExpert :

For your computer, CLICK HERE to download and install Skype.

NickMacExpert :

You only reset like this if Skype is having issues or you cannot get back to home screen.

NickMacExpert :

Are you downloading Skype now?

NickMacExpert :

After done, run the installer. Skype will download and install. After that is done, enter your email address and NEW password.

NickMacExpert :

You will be able to use Skype on your computer.

NickMacExpert :

You should see your contacts as well.

NickMacExpert :

Is Skype installed or still downloading?

Customer:

It just got installed, which is great. But on my iPad, I still cannot seem to get beyond the All Contacts section of Skype. Not sure if I should just give it up.

NickMacExpert :

Please give me a second.

Customer:

Or is that the page you are supposed to get to immediately when you press the icon?

NickMacExpert :

Let me get my ipad

Customer:

OK

NickMacExpert :

Got it

NickMacExpert :

So for iPad, when you open it you will see people and history on the left

NickMacExpert :

If you tap History, you will see your chats

NickMacExpert :

If you want to go back into Normal screen tap People

NickMacExpert :

And that is the default screen for Skype on iPad

NickMacExpert :

The app is quite simple.

Customer:

When I press on the Skype icon on the main menu of the iPad, where all the icons are, the first screen I get is All Contacts. THere is a History on the left, but no People. When I press History, it does not show any chats even though I have had many chats. There is nothing that says People on the screen.

NickMacExpert :

Usually the history are the ones you used on iPad only.

NickMacExpert :

If you do not see any chats previously, they are cleared on the ipad

Customer:

Yes, I have always chatted on the iPad, but none of them show now. Maybe this is because I got a new name and password XXXXX the old one is now gone, along with all the chats?

NickMacExpert :

Yes that is correct.

NickMacExpert :

If you use the old name, they will appear.

NickMacExpert :

New name will not have those chats.

Customer:

OK, we are good for now. I don't even know the old name because it got eliminated when I created the new one. Thank you very much.

NickMacExpert :

You are welcomed.

NickMacExpert :

Glad I could help out.

Nick H., Mac Specialist
Experience: Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Pro G5.