Nick H.
Nick H., Mac Specialist
Experience:  Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Pro G5.

in the last week macbook air running slow, fan running loud,

in the last week macbook air running slow, fan running loud, no sound (mute is checked and greyed out). Any ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ernest Agyare replied 9 months ago.

ErnestAgyare :

hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX i can assist you

Customer:

ok that would be great

ErnestAgyare :

it sounds linke y our system is overheating causing the fan to run that loud

ErnestAgyare :

i know you did a smc reset

ErnestAgyare :

did you do a pram reset?

Customer:

i dont think its overheating. not hot to touch, fan starts immediatley on startup. i followed instructions for pram reset but computer did not start up while i was holding the keys down. should I try again?

ErnestAgyare :

yes try again

ErnestAgyare :

PRAM RESET

• Shut down the computer.

• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step

• Turn on the computer.

• Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

• Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

• Release the keys.

Customer:

how long should it take to restart. when i tried it just kept alternating from grey screen to black. My sound isnt working so I will not hear the start up sound

ErnestAgyare :

immediately

Customer:

i'll try again. i'll be back

ErnestAgyare :

ok

Customer:

didnt help

ErnestAgyare :

may i be honest?

Customer:

sure

ErnestAgyare :

usually you computer is suppose to perform that function no matter what unless hd failure...i completely understand that is not what you may want to hear right now....please let me know and i can opt out for another expert...All i ask is you KINDLY NOT RATE ME....i just didnt want to waste your time any longer and this is coming from an active mac tech and a mac user

ErnestAgyare :

please let me know

Customer:

i appreciate the honesty. ok

ErnestAgyare :

would you like for me to opt out

Customer:

yes

ErnestAgyare :

no problem please only rate me if you find out after you communications with other experts that i were right

ErnestAgyare :

opting out

Expert:  Nick H. replied 9 months ago.
Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will help you today.

Please try to boot your Macbook in Safe Mode.

Turn off your Macbook Air.
Press Power button and immediately hold the SHIFT key. Release it after you see the Apple logo comes up. Let your Macbook boots.

Does it have the same issue with slow and no sound?

If yes, when and where did you purchase your MacBook?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes same issue. Bought online from the apple store a little more than a year ago.
this is why i tried to prevent wasting your time..i seriously believe its a hardware issue....another expert took a shot and same results would you like a third expert....i believe in honesty thats why i asked you if you were comfortable with me telling you the truth. Let me know if you would like a third expert
Expert:  Nick H. replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your reply.

From all the troubleshooting, it does seem this issue is hardware since you already reinstalled OS.

The best way now is to bring your Macbook Air to Apple Store or an Apple computer repair. They will open and take a look. Usually they might have to check the fan or test the logic board. Could be an issue with heatsink. So they can replace appropriate parts.

Please feel free to reply back if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you!

Nick
Nick H., Mac Specialist
Experience: Macbook, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Mac Pro G5.