Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

I have a 2009 vintage soundlink. I just upgraded my 2009

I have a 2009 vintage soundlink. I just upgraded my 2009 iMac to the most recent version. I plugged in the wireless USD dongle into a port on the back on the new machine, and restarted. A link was not established, despite the fact that i pressed the tuning button on the soundlink remote. What now....
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

Before we get started, can you click the apple sign at the top left of your computer, and then click about this mac.

And then let me know what version of Mac osx you have.. 10.6 10.7 10.8

Thanks,

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.8.4

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Charlie..

It took me a moment to find the correct file, but Ive found it. What we need to do is download this file, and then run it to install it , so that we can update the software and firmware of the Bose Soundlink system you have.

http://goo.gl/1vctY

Once downloaded .. make sure to install the file, and follow the prompts it gives you.

Once this is installed, you should be able to connect your Soundlink speakers again.

let me know if you get stuck, or run into any issues..

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My computer will not install the app. It is from an unknown developer.

It will only take things from the Mac app store.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood.. However, that app is from Bose, its the update to the speakers and the sound link software.

On the page that says unauthorized ap, you should have a section you can click to over ride it and install it anyways.

If not.. Then we need to allow unauthorized apps through your system preferences.

so go to XXXXX , security and privacy, general tab

Now at the bottom right of the window, click the padlock and enter your password.

Then, click the box that says allow applications downloaded from..

And where it says "mac app store", click it and change it so it says allow "anywhere"

Once thats done, you should now be able to run the Bose app.

So try to install it again, and let me know if you run into any further issues..

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Go to System Preferences < Security & Privacy < Tab ‘General’
You will see ‘Allow applications downloaded from’ greyed out, so first authenticate by clicking on the little padlock at the bottom left of the window.
Select ‘Anywhere’ instead of ‘Mac App Store and identified developers’ - See more at: http://blog.the-nerd.be/2012/07/installing-unauthorized-apps-on-mountain-lion/#sthash.G83GdKjV.dpuf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I installed the BOSE app and followed all instructions. I pressed the AUX button until the light started flashing.After waiting 20 minutes, the link was not made. All that happened is that the activity light on the soundlink kept on flashing.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
My apologies Charlie.. There was a crucial step I left out, when updating the speakers.

To update them.. Im going to need you to connect the sound link speaker to your mac directly, using a mini usb cable.. And only after we have the speakers connected, would you then run the file that updates the actual speaker software inside the speaker.

A mini usb cale is what would work with a camera, or a phone..

If you dont have a mini usb cable, I can send you a picture and a link where you can purchase one for under 2 $ ..

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi- Send me that picture. As I look at the back of the speaker, the only input id for an audio needle type input.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Auxiliary input lets you play other audio sources and a USB port for software updates

Right beside your power cord.. You dont have a small usb port connection as shown here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. There is a single round hole for a needlep-nosed audio input. it is marked audio above the input hole.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok..

Theres no power cord plugin on the model of speakers you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes there is a power cord plug in, right below the audio input described above. The power cord is a female receptacle that goes into a male part inside the plug-in area.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
And no where, is there a small, no more then a 1/16 th of an inch tall, maybe a quarter inch wide small usb opening?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No USB opening.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It always shook hands wirelessly in the past, including on another modern iMac.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Curious thing. When I use the BOSE remote and press a change selection command, it does connect with imusic and change the selection. But there is no audio coming from the speaker and the on lights are not on.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Question.. The usb receiver your system uses, does it look like the usb receiver on this page.

http://worldwide.bose.com/productsupport/en_us/web/soundlink/page.html

I need to be certain of the specific receiver you have, so that we can update the receivers software...

Also, since you mentioned you just upgraded to 10.8 .. Lets run this repair.

To open Disk Utility, from the Applications folder, open Utilities, and then double-click the Disk Utility icon.

In the column on the left, click your startup disk.

Click the First Aid tab, and then click Repair Disk Permissions. Disk Utility will reset any files and folders with incorrect settings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes-The BOSE soundlink in the picture is like mine.

I did the first aid-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just got a permissions repair complete.

Charlie

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Charlie...

Now that we did the permissions repair..

lets restart the mac.. And then try the connection again.. If it still wont work..

Lets consider deleting and reinstalling the bose software from the mac.. Do you still have the installation cd ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK-Stay tuned

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As I said in an e-mail, I reconnected the speaker to the old 2009 iMac (which has OSX 10.8.4 ) and it worked perfectly. But is does not connect at all on the new iMac with the same operating system.

I do not have the old installation CD, though I looked for it.

I downloaded the BOSE manual, and it did show the USB port you were talking about, but which my model does not have.

i do not know t=whether we are going to get through this tonight...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can no longer communicate with you through the web-site, as my computer suddenly tells me there is no associated application when a few minutes ago, there clearly was something working.

Ion any case, i tried the BOSE system out on my old iMac, whose operating system had been upgraded to 10.8.4, too. Everything worked.

Charlie

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the delay in getting back to you Charlie..

By the time your second reply came in, I was offline and in bed for the evening.. I do see all three of your replies saying that you were able to get a second Mac running 10.8.4 to work with the Bose system.. So , Ideally, we should also be able to get it working with this system.

lets try this.. Instead of updating the firmware for the speaker, lets update the Bose software on the mac itself..

To do so, on the non working mac ( as far as soundlink is concerned )

Please go to this page.

http://worldwide.bose.com/downloads/en/web/bose_soundlink_air_download/page.html

Download the newest version for mac.. And once downloaded, lets make sure that we install this update to the software.. Once it is fully installed..

Lets restart the mac, and then run the bose software again, lets see if it can make a connection to the speakers as it should now, and work.

if you get stuck or run into any issues, please let me know.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dustin,I tried downloading the BOSE software. unfortunately, it too required a USB cable to the speaker, for which there is no connection point.

Noenetheless, i tried shutting down and connecting via blue tooth and still nothing happened.

I think we are looking at the wrong BOSE speaker.

In any case, i am going away later today and will be unable to pursue the answer much longer.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
The second bose software should not have required a USB cable.. As that wasnt software for the speakers themselves, but for the mac...

Are you sure you tried the newest link I sent, which was a different software and link then previously?

If so.. Lets try a mac update.. maybe that will help resolve the issue.

Choose System Preferences from the Apple Menu.
Choose Software Update from the View menu.
Click Update Now.
Select the items you want to install, then click Install.
Enter an Admin user name and password.
After the update is complete, restart the mac

And if this doesnt allow it to connect.. I have one last simple step Id like to try..

lets create a new ( test ) admin account on your mac.

Heres how to create an account.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11468

We want to make it an admin account.. ( dont delete your old account!!! )

Once created, shut down the mac, start it, and then log into the new test admin account.

Now, reconnect the bose soundlink and the mac should offer to install the software again..

On the new account, can we get the mac to connect to the speakers now ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dustin,

i want to thank you for your help. Unfortunately, I cannot spend any more time on this, as i leave on a trip shortly.

i think i will move this soundlink along with the old iMac to its new location, and perhaps buy a new soundlink for this newer computer.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Your plan sounds solid to me, the only concern I have, is that possibly theres something that went awry with the install of mountain lion, that may be causing some type of issues either for thebose software, or for the Bluetooth connection.

So keeping that in mind, if the newer soundlink product you purchase also has issues with this specific mac ..

try the steps I mentioned as far as creating a new admin user account.. And if that doesnt work, you may want to consider try a fresh erase and install of mountain lion..

If in the future Charlie, you need my assistance, your always able to send a reply through this same question interface.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment