Daniel Whelan
Daniel Whelan, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Support Professional, Full Time Mac Technical Manager for 8+ years, HND Photography

I am trying to move apertures pictures to dropbox. I get a

Customer Question

I am trying to move apertures pictures to dropbox. I get a message that some items can't be moved. I discover that items with yellow triangle are locked. I read the I should go to vault. I discover in vault about 50 items that have yellow triangles and cant be moved.

I have no idea where the originals are. They could be on several back up drives including one that crashed. At one point I couldnt access any aperture files. The program wouldnt open. My IT guy manages to move them into Picasa, but after using various dup remover progams they could easily be gone--even assuming they are unlocked.

Now what?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel Whelan replied 9 months ago.

Daniel Whelan :

Hi, A yellow triangle usually means that Aperture cant find the original file. I'm afraid you will have no option but to search through your backup drives. I realise that could be a tedious process but there is no other way.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Can I open the files in photoshop and alter them there?

No, Aperture is only showing you a preview it generated when you first put the file into it, it does know where the original is any more.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

It worked. I opened the file in photoshop. saved it as a copy and then moved it to dropbox!

So did/does it still have a yellow triangle on the one you opened?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I didnt save it in aperture. I saved it to my desktop and then upload to drop box. before whenever I tried to move an image it would give me a circle with a line through it

So, the 49 other images with yellow triangles in Aperture, have you found them?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Heres the trick: open the same library in adobe bridge. All images appear.

Then look for photo in aperture. Find same photo in bridge. Edit in photoshop. save as copy to desktop. upload form desktop to dropbox. Easy!

Any job openings? lol

So you found them all on your mac but aperture still has the yellow triangle icon for them. Well I'm glad you found them.