Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Engineer
Experience:  B.S. Electrical & Computer Engineering, 20+ years technical experience

RE: Microsoft Outlook - Windows on Mac

RE: Microsoft Outlook - Windows on Mac I've used Microsoft Office Outlook since it came out. I just trimmed my PST file down to about 10GB. I have so much information in subfolders etc. We travel a lot. I'm leaving for 4 months in Europe (with luggage limitations) and would prefer to take only one computer. Would purchasing Office for Mac solve a lot of problems or create new problems?

Or maybe I need to a new copy of Windows loaded on my Mac?

My equipment includes: 1) Apple MacBook Pro MC976LL/A 15.4-Inch Laptop with Retina Display with 2.6 GHz Processor / 512 GB Storage. 2) Acer Iconia Tablet with about 30GB hard drive 3) HP Windows computer seems to have problems starting some times. (will leave at home) 4) Several external USBs - 1TB, 750MB, etc

Software Priorities Microsoft Office 2007 Outlook, Microsoft Office - Word, Excel etc Quicken 2011 I want to use Windows programs & files on my Mac. I installed Parallels Desktop 8 Switch to Mac Edition & migrated the Acer Iconia programs/files. I have a problem opening Microsoft Outlook because it is looking for a PST file that is no longer at that location. Can I reinstall Microsoft Office into the virtual machine on the Mac?

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be working with you today on your question!

Sounds like you really are having a storage issue? I would not recommend buying Office for Mac, because you would just be propagating your inbox now to another client. If you restored the PST to the Outlook for Mac AND have the windows Outlook through Parallels, now you have DOUBLE the usage on your hard drive of a 10GB PST file. Perhaps you can archive some of your PST and trim it down. Have you ever done that before?

If not, take a look here:

Basically you would be moving a lot of old stuff that you have a low likelihood of accessing into archives that you could store independently of the active PST. This would allow you to work with a smaller more trim PST and yet if needed open up the archives from yester-year and look for that email. You could store the archives on a another drive (external) and could make backup copies too.

What do you think about that solution?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you have a better alternative to these steps?

1) Archive less important files from the Acer Iconia to my 1 TB USB

2) Load 10 GB trimmed PST on Acer and verify it opens ok (PST was 15GB in February 2013. I trimmed it to 10GB by April.)

3) This might explain some of my recent problems with Parallels & the PST

4) Do I need to remove or reinstall Parallels on the Mac? then Migrate the Acer Iconia 30GB hard drive again.

That sounds like a reasonable approach. What are you using parallels for right now, just Outlook?

If you have the PST (back it up) on the hard drive somewhere and can point Outlook to it on the Mac it should load correctly. If it is otherwise working, you might night need to reinstall Parallels. That being said I never loved Parallels and opted to dual boot my mac with a native Windows partition. But that was a few years ago maybe Parallels has improved significantly since then.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Software Priorities Microsoft Office 2007 Outlook, Microsoft Office - Word, Excel etc Quicken 2011

Sure. If it isn't giving you any problems after getting the .PST in place, I wouldn't reinstall anything so long as the rest of the applications function to your requirements.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will try the plan above and let you know if it works.

Thanks for accepting my previous response. I greatly enjoyed working with you and hoped I was able to help.

If you have further questions, please feel free to request me in the future!

Thank you,