John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

Just downloaded Safari 6.0.5 on my I Mac. Now safari wont

Just downloaded Safari 6.0.5 on my I Mac. Now safari won't open. just get a grey screen that says "untitled". Entering a website there goes nowhere.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Was the Safari update installed through Software Update?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, it was.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Vic.

Quit Safari

In the Finder, click the Go item in the menu bar at the top of the screen and hold down the OPTION key on your keyboard then choose "Library".

In the new Finder window that appears, open the Preferences folder.

Locate. com.apple.safari.plist and move it to the trash. Empty your Trash.

Restart and immediately hold down the SHIFT key as soon as you hear the start up chime. Release the shit key when you see the Apple logo and progress indicator.

When you reach the desktop, see if Safari works.

Restart and try Safari once more. Is the issue resolved?

If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this discussion. I will be more than happy to work with you further. Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If so please, please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating my personal service only and not this website itself or your issue.

Thanks and good luck,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No luck. Still just a white screen with "untitled" at top. Entered a website in the bar and nothing happens.

Earlier today, I did uninstall a website opener extension and also inadvertently deleted apple.com from a list of websites that can track

browsing, but those are the only changes I have made. What now?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay,

Quit Safari

In the new Finder window that appears, open the Caches folder.

Locate com.apple.safari and move it to the trash.

Go back to the Library folder

open the "Saved Application State" folder

Locate com.apple.safari.savedState file and move it to the trash.

Empty your Trash and restart, then see if there is any improvement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Deleted hundreds of items from safari cache and did a restart, but no improvement.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Did you also remove the com.apple.safari.savedState file?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, sorry, I missed that part. I have gone back and found that apple.safari was there again, so I moved both safari and saved state to trash, emptied that and did a restart. Still nothing.

Very weird, though. Although I did this exercise three times, these files keep reappearing as though I had never trashed them, although the trash (over 800 items) disappeared when I emptied it.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Once you restart Safari, it will recreate many of the files but if there was corruption in any of them this should no longer be an issue.

However, I'm wondering now if this is a user issue or a system issue.

Do you have another user account on your iMac that you can test?

If not, you can create one in System Preferences > Users & Groups.

Once created, you could sign out of the current account and then sign in to the new one and test Safari. The result would provide a clue as to how to further troubleshoot this issue. If you need additional assistance creating an account, just let me know and I will provide more detail.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK let's create a new account. This is my mothers computer and my daughter also has an account. Can you step me through creating a new one? I am in users and group now.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Sure thing...

Apple actually has a great set of instructions here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph4600

Complete down to step #7. For step #4, choose an Administrator account.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I have created an administrator account

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay good.

Now click the Apple logo in the top left of the screen and choose Log out...

Then, log in to the new account and test Safari.

When finished you can log back out and into the old account again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great. That did it. Now, to prevent a re occurance I would like to eliminate the other admin and user account. How do i do that?

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have data that you need to keep in the other account? It's likely we can still fix that account, if so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. I'd just like to eliminate it. No one else needs to be on this machine.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, then that's easily accomplished.

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, and then click Users & Groups.

Click the lock icon to unlock it, and type the new administrator name and password.

Select the account you would like to remove and click the - button below the user list. Repeat for any accounts you want to remove.

That's it!

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Howdy!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. If you need further assistance on this or other issues, please let me know.

Thanks,