Michelle
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.
70409726

I need to copy all of my pictures from my MAC OS X to an external

I need to copy all of my pictures from my MAC OS X to an external hard drive. Whats the best way to do this?

After I do it, whats the best way to delete it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  csfischer20 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist. The best way to do this is to plug that hard drive in. Second, you want to copy and paste all of the pictures into a folder on that external hard drive. Once it is verified that they are in there, go ahead and delete them. They will be gone. The only for sure way to make sure of this would be to format the machine of course, repartition the hard drive, and then reload it. Deleting them will take care of them to a point where someone who isn't an expert at recovery will be able to get them back. Please let me know if I can assist further. I do this quite often since I use a macbook air for everything with an external hard drive.

Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know how to copy and paste. I'm having trouble finding the folder with all the photos...

I didn't see that was the case Stephen. Have you tried a wild card search for them? It would search the system for *.jpg.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, there has to be a folder where they are all stored, wouldn't you think that would be the case?

They don't have to be in a folder. That is why I suggested the search. They could be in one place or many places. There is no restriction on that. Apple is Linux based and for the most part assumes you know what you are telling it to do and just does it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have to imagine my iPhoto Library is more organized than that... this is Apple we are talking about. They make it easy to use.

Please opt out of the question.

Thanks

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

There is a folder where all of your pictures are stored. Within the picture folder, you will see "iPhoto Library" This is where all of your photos are stored. Since iphoto stores its library as an image, you will need to Right click on "iPhoto Library" and choose Show package contents. (You can right click if your mouse is set up, or you can press and hold the Control Key and then click on iPhoto Library) After choosing "Show Package Contents" You will see a series of folders. All of your pictures are in the Masters folder. The best and easiest way is to just drag and drop just the "iPhoto Library" file and transfer it to the external hard drive. Transferring it this way will save all of your edited photos and albums oppose to just dragging over individual picture folders. Please let me know if you need additional information
Michelle, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 10 years of exp.