Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

Somehow I messed up about 50 of my photos. When I double click

Somehow I messed up about 50 of my photos. When I double click them an exclamation point shows up and I can't view, edit or drag them. Is this reversible? I have OS-X 10.6.8.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to assisting you today with your question.

The exclamation mark indicates that the original photo files are deleted or moved to other location. This usually happens if your iPhoto can't locate the original pictures in the library. We can rebuild your iPhoto Library and see if that works or not. Please follow the steps below to rebuild your iPhoto Library

1. Quit iPhoto if it is open.
  2. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard.
  3. Open iPhoto.
  4. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library.
  5. A dialog will appear with rebuild options. Select all the options/checkboxes
  6. Click Rebuild to begin the rebuild process.

If that didn't work then rebuild your iPhoto Library with this third party application, iPhoto Library Manager (just try the trial version) -----> http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/

To rebuild with iPhoto Library Manager, open iPhoto Library Manager, click on File menu and select Rebuild.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Is option alt on the German keyboard?

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Yes, alt key is the option key
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The first solution did not work. I am now waiting for Library Manager to rebuild. Ted

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The rebuild is complete and I went through all 8000 pics twice. I found no more exclamation marks, but I suspect the damaged pictures were deleted. I had three or four which I knew were damaged and I cannot find them now. Ted

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Hi Ted, I'm very sorry for the delay. Apologies. Goto Pictures folder, right click on the old iPhoto Library and select "Show Package Contents" option from the popup menu. This will open the iPhoto Library in Finder. Open the folder named Originals and can you find your photos there ?
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.
Hi Ted,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,