Ernest Agyare
Ernest Agyare, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  5 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN MAC AND A MAC USER
74848643

iMac images chatter in progam like Solataire and in my Google

iMac images chatter in progam like Solataire and in my Google email. Scrolling in email isn't stable, stutters and won't stay. Unstable. What can I do to stabilize the screen images in these programs?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ernest Agyare replied 1 year ago.

ErnestAgyare :

hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX i can help

ErnestAgyare :

what is exactly happening

Customer:

Hi Earnest, my name isXXXXX trying to help my wife with her iMac.

Customer:

For example in Solataire (not online) the cards in the stack to be played begin to jump 'jitter' on the screen and are unstable.

ErnestAgyare :

does it do it on any other program

Customer:

Another example, when she is reading her gmail in her email account and scrolls down with the scroll bar, the scrolling becomes unstable and won't remain where she drags it to. It returns to the top and won't stay where she's dragged it down to. It seems the screen/program response is unsteady.

ErnestAgyare :

i get you ...has she done a back up of her stuff in time machine

Customer:

I believe she has the problem on other programs such as Cityville and Farmville on Zynga/Facebook as well.

Customer:

No she doesn't know how to use time machine. I wish she did.

ErnestAgyare :

first thing i will ask her to do is do a software upgrae

ErnestAgyare :

upgrade

ErnestAgyare :

simply done by clicking the apple and it will drop down and you will see software upgrade

Customer:

OK I'll try that now?

ErnestAgyare :

yes

Customer:

No new software at this time is the response

ErnestAgyare :

have you done a back up before?

Customer:

not an Apple/iMac and not on this machine

Customer:

Can't imagine it's too complicated

ErnestAgyare :

it has a time machine icon on the system which backs up all your important folders

ErnestAgyare :

i am going to reset your PRAM just dont want you to lose anything

Customer:

There's not much to lose, really. Any backup shouldn't be extensive or take much time.

ErnestAgyare :

ok have you seen that icon or would you like me to walk you through it

Customer:

Please walk me through it

ErnestAgyare :

ok

ErnestAgyare :

i will send you a link

Customer:

OK

ErnestAgyare :

please go to system preference

ErnestAgyare :

in system preference

ErnestAgyare :

you will see time machine under "SYSTEMS"

ErnestAgyare :

put it in the on position

ErnestAgyare :

this is the link http://www.cultofmac.com/46726/how-to-backup-and-restore-your-mac-using-time-machine-macrx/

ErnestAgyare :

but i will walk you through as well

ErnestAgyare :

are you there sir

Customer:

Yes, Ernest, I'm back.

ErnestAgyare :

did you back up your system?

Customer:

No, I haven't

ErnestAgyare :

please back it up so i can do your reset

Customer:

I was able to find Time Machine and turn it on but don't know where to go from there.

Customer:

the drop down asks me to setup time capsule

ErnestAgyare :

ok do you have a hard drive to back up to

ErnestAgyare :

on your top right next to your wireless symbol

ErnestAgyare :

you will see the bluetooth then sound then and arrow going counter clockwise

ErnestAgyare :

click on it and you will see an option for back up now

Customer:

I see it

Customer:

It says open time machine preferences

Customer:

Which brings me back to where I was before

ErnestAgyare :

you will need to attach a hard drive to back it up on...i am just trying to reset your pram and smc

Customer:

I just tried a 250 GB one but it wants to erase and reformat it. I don't want to do that without knowing what's on it first. My 500 GB has a backup of my PC desktop so I'm not going to erase that one to format it for apple/imac

Customer:

Ok what I just typed to you just disappeared

Customer:

I have two drives but they had PC material not apple

Customer:

i have two drives with PC files on them

Customer:

Can't the pram be reset without a backup

ErnestAgyare :

it can

ErnestAgyare :

SMC RESET

• Shut down the computer.

• Unplug the computer's power cord and ALL peripherals.

• Wait 15 seconds.

• Attach the computers power cable.

• Wait another 5 seconds and press the power button to turn on the computer.

PRAM RESET

• Shut down the computer.

• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

• Turn on the computer.

• Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

• Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

• Release the keys.

ErnestAgyare :

please do the smc reset first

Customer:

OK -- Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX it

ErnestAgyare :

i will be on stand by let me know if it works

ErnestAgyare :

did it work?

Customer:

Hello Ernest, if you're still here. The SMC reset seems to have done the trick. I remember that same fix from about three years ago. Forgot until now. But thank you. I've copied the steps to do both now. I guess the second step…Pram resets the RAM memory. So thank you. I'll let you know when my wife returns if I have any more problems. Thanks again.

Experience: 5 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN MAC AND A MAC USER