Ernest Agyare
Ernest Agyare, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  5 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN MAC AND A MAC USER
74848643

I am generally having trouble with my Mac desktop and have to continua

Customer Question

I am generally having trouble with my Mac desktop and have to continually restart. Recently I also lost my back button. What can I do. I'm running on 10.0
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Appleologist :

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you, I will need additional information. What causes you to have to restart your computer? Is your computer freezing. Are you also referring to the back button in Safari?

Customer :

It freezes or just quits on it's own - so the only thing I can do is restart - yes when I'm in Safari

Appleologist :

So your actual computer does not freeze, just Safari. Is that correct?

Customer :

Yes that is correct

Appleologist :

Great. Thanks for clarifying it. First lets check for updates. Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and then choose software updates. After it is done checking, what updates are available?

Customer :

It simply says that updates are up to date

Appleologist :

Ok good that means we will just need to reset safari. Do you have another web browsers that you can chat from?

Appleologist :

When we reset safari, we will be cut off

Customer :

Do you want to talk on my IPhone? if so, the number is XXXXX xxx xxxx

Appleologist :

No, we can only chat via live chatting. No worries. You can bookmark our chat so you can get back to me. Click on bookmark in the upper top menu bar and choose add bookmark. Save it to the bookmark bar

Appleologist :

Let me know when it is bookmarked

Customer :

It is now I have to admit I'm pretty stupid about theses things I just hope I can get back to it!

Appleologist :

If you feel more comfortable, You can download google chrome and chat from there so we will never be cut off.

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/?&brand=CHMA&utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-bk&utm_medium=ha

Appleologist :

Click on the link to download and install

Customer :

It does say I need at least 10.6 to download

Appleologist :

Oh ok you are running 10.5. Thats fine, I am sure you will be able to get back. If not, you can click on the link in your email sent from Just Answer

Appleologist :

The first thing we are going to do is delete safari's Plist file

Appleologist :

To do this, click on finder (happy face icon on the dock). Let me know when you have finder open

Customer :

I'm can open finder, but don't see a happy face?

Appleologist :

In the left column in your finder window. Do you see your username or account

Appleologist :

It will have a house icon next to your username

Customer :

Sorry, no I don't see that - I told you i was stupid on these things!

Appleologist :

here is an illustration

Full Size Image
Appleologist :

Ha ha your not stupid

Appleologist :

This is the finder menu

Full Size Image
Customer :

Am I supposed to be able to open that? I get a blank screen with the tiny question mark box in the upper left corner

Appleologist :

Lets try this instead. Click on the happy face icon in the dock. Then choose Go from the upper top menu and choose home folder

Appleologist :
Full Size Image
Customer :

OK - I'm there...

Appleologist :

Within the home folder, do you see a Library folder?

Customer :

Yes

Appleologist :

Click on the Library folder. Within that folder is a preference folder. Click on the preference folder

Customer :

OK what next

Appleologist :

Two more steps. Now within the preference folder, locate and delete com.apple.Safari.plist

Appleologist :

You can drag it into the trash to delete

Customer :

I see everything else but com.apple.Safari.plist

Appleologist :

They are normally in alphabetical order

Appleologist :

Focus on the com.apple first

Appleologist :

Take your time

Customer :

I swear the safari one is not there and unfortunately I am going to have to go pretty soon, but I want to get this resolved

Appleologist :

Ok, lets just reset safari then and disregard the plist. First lets get your back button back. In safari, click on View in the top menu bar and choose customize toolbar

Appleologist :

You should then see a series of icon. Locate the forward and back button and drag them in the proper location

Appleologist :

were you able to locate the toolbar?

Customer :

My computer froze again

Appleologist :

Ok lets get your toolbar back and then reset safari. We will be disconnected again

Customer :

I had to restart - I think I was able to get my back button going again. Do think I have to take this computer in somewhere or find someone to come here It is not very portaable

Appleologist :

Well we will not know until tomorrow. Here is how you are going to reset Safari. Click Safari in the top menu bar. Then choose reset safari.

Appleologist :

Make sure all the boxes are checked except the password XXXXX Then choose reset

Appleologist :

Then try Safari out and observe if it still freezes.

Customer :

I appreciate your help, but I think this computer has other issues How can I cancel this subscription. I didn't save my user name or password! I just gave JustAnswer my info and credit card #

Miel-cssm41465.8363575463
Expert:  Ernest Agyare replied 1 year ago.
please log in and click forgot my password...it will send it to you email...then you can log in and cancel....